Data Format

TabulaRasa

Hi,
I need to convert a string of data within a single cell into multiple rows, for multiple columns. The data in the first column (column A) is in the format of Yes [1], No [2], No [2], etc. and is associated with data in the following column (column B) which is in the format of xxxxx [123.1], xxxxxxxx [123.7], etc.

So essentially my problem is that I need to convert the data within two columns into multiple rows while still keeping it confined to those two columns and maintaining the relationship between them. I would appreciate any advice that anyone has to give!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
a before / after example would be nice.
Before:Accessory Information
No [2], No [2], No [2], Yes [3]

<tbody>
</tbody>
topic number 1 [987.6], topic number 2 [2x8.1], topic, number 3 [5.0], topic number, 4 [ab99]

<tbody>
</tbody>
After:Accessory Information
No [2]

<tbody>
</tbody>
topic number 1 [987.6]

<tbody>
</tbody>
Accessory InformationNo [2]
topic number 2 [2x8.1]

<tbody>
</tbody>
topic, number 3 [5.0]

<tbody>
</tbody>
Accessory InformationYes [3]
topic number, 4 [ab99]

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
This is what I'm going for. Sorry if the formatting isn't standard, this is my first post. Does this help? Thank you for your reply!

Upvote 0
put these in a macro, then run PARSETXT

Code:
'--------------
Public Sub ParseTxt()
'--------------
Dim col1 As New Collection, col2 As New Collection
Dim vWord1, vWord2
Dim i As Integer
Dim shtNew As Worksheet, shtSrc As Worksheet

Set shtSrc = ActiveSheet
Sheets.Add
Set shtNew = ActiveSheet
shtSrc.Activate
Range("A1").Select
While (ActiveCell.Value) <> ""
   vWord1 = ActiveCell.Value
   vWord2 = ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value

Parse1Cell vWord1, col1
   Parse1Cell vWord2, col2

shtNew.Activate
   For i = 1 To col1.Count
        ActiveCell.Value = col1(i)
        ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Value = col2(i)
        ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select  'next row
   Next
   shtSrc.Activate
   ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select  'next row
   Set col1 = New Collection
   Set col2 = New Collection
Wend
shtNew.Activate

Set col1 = Nothing
Set col2 = Nothing
End Sub

'--------------
Private Sub Parse1Cell(ByVal pvWord, pvCol As Collection)
'--------------
Dim vVal
dim i as integer

i = InStr(pvWord, ",")
While i > 0
   vVal = Left(pvWord, i - 1)
   pvWord = Trim(Mid(pvWord, i + 1))
   pvCol.Add vVal
   i = InStr(pvWord, ",")
Wend
pvCol.Add pvWord
End Sub

Upvote 0
Before:Accessory Information
No [2], No [2], No [2], Yes [3]

<tbody>
</tbody>
topic number 1 [987.6], topic number 2 [2x8.1], topic, number 3 [5.0], topic number, 4 [ab99]

<tbody>
</tbody>
After:Accessory Information
No [2]

<tbody>
</tbody>
topic number 1 [987.6]

<tbody>
</tbody>
topic number 2 [2x8.1]

<tbody>
</tbody>
topic, number 3 [5.0]

<tbody>
</tbody>
Accessory InformationYes [3]
topic number, 4 [ab99]

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
This is what I'm going for. Sorry if the formatting isn't standard, this is my first post. Does this help? Thank you for your reply!
How does this table of values relate to the two columns of information you said you had in Message #1... I see the Yes [1], No [2], No [2], etc. part, but what about the xxxxx [123.1], xxxxxxxx [123.7], etc. part? And what about the columns... in Message #1, you said these were in Column A and B, but you show something completely different in Column A in your table... can you clarify that too please.

Upvote 0
Ranman, when I run that macro it creates a new sheet but does not populate any data and I receive VBA error 400. I'm unsure of what this means, but hopefully it helps to diagnose the issue.

Mr. Rothstein, I was using general placeholder names for the columns - I did not know that it mattered. As the data that I'm working with is sensitive, I'm trying to give everyone enough information to help without breaching any privacy laws. The particular columns that will need to be converted into rows are I, J, and K (sorry for not including column K earlier - I thought a third column would complicate the explanation). I likely did a poor job with my initial explanation in Message #1. Please allow me to summarize again, and go a bit more in depth.

Currently, there are ~10,000 rows of data. Each row has the following information format in it:

ABCDEFGHIJK
TEXTDATEDATETEXTGENERAL (INCLUDES NUMBERS)TEXTCURRENCYTEXT (INCLUDES NUMBERS)No [2], Yes [3], etc.Yes [3], No [2], etc.TEXT [123.1], TEXT [123.2], etc.

<tbody>
</tbody>

The goal is to take columns I-K and make them multiple rows, with the data staying relative between the columns (for example, the first row would be the following:
IJK
No [2]Yes [3]TEXT [123.1]

<tbody>
</tbody>

There are two additional complications. The first is that columns A-H need to be duplicated along with the now separated information from columns I-K (it is identifying information). The second complication is that the TEXT information in column K contains commas, (for example: obesity, adult) so any comma delimited approach that I could think of will not work.

Hopefully this explains the issue and the goal a bit more effectively! I really appreciate everyone's assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back