Data Layout / Pivot Table Question

mpkrva

Hello! I've been given a table containing information - no numbers - so this isn't a calculation questions. It is more of a data display question. The spreadsheet originated from an online form where people were asked to pick their location, their name, and about 25 optional questions. Each row in the spreadsheet contains the responses from one respondent. (i.e. Location | First | Last | Ques 1 | Ques 2 | Ques 3 | etc.) The powers-that-be here would like to see the data summarized where everyone from, say Location A, would be grouped under a Location A header by name and the then their corresponding answers below that. Something like this:

-Location A
-Smith |Bob
Ans 1
Ans 2
Ans 25
-Doe | Jane
Ans 1
Ans 2
Ans 25
+Location B

I'm not a noobie, but inexperienced with Pivot Tables and much more comfortable with VBA. However, I am a bit of a time crunch and this only happens once a year so I'm reluctant to code it out in VBA.

I feel like I've seen this sort of data manipulation done natively in Excel and was just wondering if anyone might have some tips for how to go about getting it done. Basically I need to pull some horizontal data into vertical data under by header and subheader...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Based upon what you have provided, I am thinking that you probably need to load the data into Power Query/Get & Transform and unpivot the horizontal data. A fairly easy thing to do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aircuart

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back