Data Validation Dropdown OR manual entry specific text

EdwardSurrey

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

I have the following Data Validation formula that creates a dependent list dropdown. It's complicated because it's designed to remove blank spaces.

=OFFSET(Backup!$AK$1,1,MATCH($C$9,Backup!$AK$1:$EC$1,0)-1,COUNTIF(OFFSET(Backup!$AK$1,1,MATCH($C$9,Backup!$AK$1:$EC$1,0)-1,100,1),"?*"),1)

I also want to allow the manual entry of "INSERT SITE", regardless of whether that exists in the dropdown.

I tried the following:

=OR(C10="INSERT SITE",OFFSET(Backup!$AK$1,1,MATCH($C$9,Backup!$AK$1:$EC$1,0)-1,COUNTIF(OFFSET(Backup!$AK$1,1,MATCH($C$9,Backup!$AK$1:$EC$1,0)-1,100,1),"?*"),1))

But I get an error "The list source must be a delimited list, or a refence to single row or column"

Any ideas? :)

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
As far as I know in data validation - if you have "Allow:" set to "List", then you need to supply a list with all items that are valid, but if you use "custom" you are free to build formulas to define what is allowable, but there is no "in-cell dropdown" option for this. So you need to add "INSERT SITE" to your list if you want a drop down...

Upvote 0
As far as I know in data validation - if you have "Allow:" set to "List", then you need to supply a list with all items that are valid, but if you use "custom" you are free to build formulas to define what is allowable, but there is no "in-cell dropdown" option for this. So you need to add "INSERT SITE" to your list if you want a drop down...

Thanks Ben.

The issue is, the dropdown is dependent on another cell where the user selects a country. If the user changes that country dropdown, I want this dependent dropdown to default to "INSERT SITE" through a VBA script. It's fine, unless the user deletes the country cell data. I think the VBA would then throw up an error because of the validation.

Upvote 0
Add "INSERT SITE" as the first cell in the list of countries.

The thing is, this is a dependent dropdown

Dropdown 1 = Country
Dropdown 2 = Site.

If someone clears the country from Dropdown 1, I don't think Dropdown 2 works at all.

Upvote 0
Or add it as first of each list of sites.

Yeah but the site list is dependent on the country choosen. If a user hits DELETE on the Country cell, Dropdown 2 simply will not work, regardless of whether I have "SELECT SITE" listed under any of the site lists.

Upvote 0
If the user changes that country dropdown, I want this dependent dropdown to default to "INSERT SITE" through a VBA script.
I'll try to write a macro to do that.
Could you upload a sample workbook (without sensitive data) to a sharing site like dropbox.com or google drive?
And then share the link here.

Upvote 0
I'll try to write a macro to do that.
Could you upload a sample workbook (without sensitive data) to a sharing site like dropbox.com or google drive?
And then share the link here.
Thanks Akuini. I didn't notice you had replied! I actually managed to solve this :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back