Data validation, formula difficulties

MadBern

Hello again, helpful Excel-masters
Because of this Corona-thing going around all of our employees have been asked to work form home for the foreseeable future.
One issue we have is that we have to limit how many employees are on break at any given time, which is easily done when they're all in the same office space, but troublesome now when they're not.
So I've been cooking up an Excel-sheet where they can book breaks, but I need to some Data validation to set certain limits. (I have to use Data validation as VBA/macros apparently aren't usable in Excel Online).

Link to file here: Breaks.xlsx

These are the terms that have to apply to be able to book one of the five slots:
  1. Employee name must be found in column E
  2. Employee must have set status as "Online" in column F
  3. Number of emps. on break must not have been reached for one or more of the competencies that the booker has
Now, I got the first two conditions to work very easily, but I'm struggling with the third.

If the employee has a certain competency, he/she is assigned a "1" in columns G - K.
The numbers in columns M - Q was my attempt to give a reference to the Data validation where it returns a "0" if the emp. doesn't have the competency and the break limit hasn't been reached. It returs a "1" if one of the conditions are met and a "2" if both conditions are met.
So I tried to get the validation to find the "2"s, but it didn't work how I hoped. If one of them had a "1" it would accept the booking even if another had a "2". For all i know, the entire table in M - Q isn't needed at all...
I've tried AND-formulas, OR-formulas, COUNTIF, COUNTIFS and VLOOPUP in different combinations, but no luck. I also tried simpler stuff, like S2 < B2 without results. I must be missing something.

Anyone here who has a clue?

Regards,
Mads

have a look at the counts i added in column AI to AM3
its using a count
and is different to your counts
And the situation you describe does not happen for my data validation
update of excel - NOT using the online version at the moment
I thought I tried a version of that, but I must've done something wrong since it didn't work then. But with this from you it works splendidly.
Thanks a bunch!

Have a great weekend and stay healthy! :)

Regards,
Mads

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
As shown, The counts are not working
Have a look at this sheet
AI3 to AM3 - are the counts of ONLINE & COMP levels for Emp. entered into the SLOT

EMP. 1 in slot 1
I count COMP 1 & 2 as flag as 1 for each
Then use that count to data validate

I'm UK based and so signing off any time soon

NOT SURE it is right , as i had to update the validation so that = does not validate

Upvote 0
As shown, The counts are not working
Have a look at this sheet
AI3 to AM3 - are the counts of ONLINE & COMP levels for Emp. entered into the SLOT

EMP. 1 in slot 1
I count COMP 1 & 2 as flag as 1 for each
Then use that count to data validate

I'm UK based and so signing off any time soon

NOT SURE it is right , as i had to update the validation so that = does not validate
No worries, I took what you produced in the previous sheet and reworked it to fit in my original. And all is well.
I'm in Norway so I'm off any minute now myself.

Again, thanks so much for the help :)

Mads

Upvote 0
you are welcome , hope it all works out ok

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I spoke to soon...
It seems to work perfectly in the Excel Desktop Client, but not in Excel Online. There it allows me to exceed the limits.

I've uploaded a new version here: Breaks.xlsx
Here I've been able to type "emp8" in slot 4, but that only worked after I uploaded it to our Sharepoint page and opened it in the browser.
As far as I know the function of Data Validation should work the same in both versions...

Upvote 0
As this is sort of a different issue , and quite a few posts (#16) on here now, it may be worth closing this thread and starting a new one with that specific question. Thats what i would do , not sure if that's the against any rules , BUT that would give it a new thread and different title , which may get more relevant replies

I don't know the answer as to any of the differences between excel desktop and online

Upvote 0
OK, I suspect the more challenging will be to police the situation

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back