Data Validation List

Studk22

Hello,

I have a fairly large worksheet with many options. I am trying to create a tool to populate an answer based on multiple criteria which can be selected from 3 data validation lists. The first selection is the type of surface finish called "Commodities" (fabrics, paints, laminates,etc...6 options total). The second selection is colors available by commodity (over 20 options per commodity). The third selection is the products available in the selected color (averages about 15-20 products per color).

The first data validation list (Commodity Selection) is set and won't change in the future. I would like the second data validation selection list (Colors) to populate from the table based on the commodity selections. Then I would like the third data validation list to populate from the main table of information based on the color selected.

Is this possible to do without creating multiple lists of products by colors by commodities to allow for indirect data validation lists?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
You will need 3 named lists to accomplish this.

The first would be your static list commodity selection.

The second would be a temoporary list. You can create a dynamic named list that will expand/contract automatically based on how many cells have data in a col. So all you need do do is have a macro that fires when your commodity lists is changed..

i.e. user changes the selected commodity.

VBA:

Private Sub Worksheet Change()
If Target.Address = YourCommodity Then
'Populate Temp List with Possible Color Combos for the selected commidity.
End if

If Target.Address = YourColor Then
'Populate Temp List with Available Products for the selected Color/Commodity combination.
End If
End Sub

To get the available colors/products, simply loop through your table like so..

Dim myRange as Range
Dim myCommodity as String
Set myRange = YourSheet.Range("A:A") 'The column in your table that contains the colors available.
myCommodity = CommodityDropDown.Value

For each cell in myRange
If cell.offset(0,2).value = myCommodity Then 'Tell excel which direction from the Color Column Commodities are stored in.
'Add cell.value to Temp List
End If
Next

'Repeat for available products for each color/commodity combo.

Hopefully this gives you an idea on how to accomplish... If you still need help writing the exact code for your application, please provide the details of your master table, i.e. dimensions of the table, and the columns of interest (commodity, color, products).

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. I'm not quite understanding the proposed solution but I think what might work is creating pivot tables that filter the color names but I need the filter to change based on another cell value.

My data validation list is on worksheet "Tool" and the cell with the data validation list is range E2:F2.

My pivot table name is "Colors", my pivot field name is "Color Names" and the filter is the color available for each commodity which is in cell AJ7.

Do you know how I could link the selection from the data validation list on the "Tool" worksheet to filter the pivot table "Color?" Also, if a macro is the answer do I put this macro in the Worksheet "Tool"?

Thanks for your help!

- Excel Novice :)

Upvote 0
You can set the filter of a Pivot Table with VBA like this:

Code:
Sheet3.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotFields("Call Center").CurrentPage = "Criteria"

Where PivotTable1 is the name of your PivotTable and "Call Center" is the label on your filter.

"Criteria" can be a variable, so in your case if you wanted to use a sell value it would be something like:

Code:
Dim Criteria as String
Criteria = Sheet1.Range("A1").value
Sheet3.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotFields("Call Center").CurrentPage = Criteria
You can tie this macro to a WS Change event and tie it to the change event of a specific cell or range (where your user selects a color for example).

Singe Cell
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then
'Set Filter
End If

Range of Cells
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then
'Set Filter
End If

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrlanc20

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back