Date Match Problem

sodabrab

Hey all,

I am trying to find the column number where a certain date is located using the match function but I am getting errors.

My code:

Code:
Dim sDate, As Long
Dim st As Date

st = formMissingTime.txtStartDate.Value
sDate = Application.Match(st, Range("J2:AAA2"), 0)
Range(Columns(sDate)).Select
txtStartDate is a text box in my form "formMissingTime". I am getting a type mismatch with the last line of code, but I haven't been able to get the stuff above to sucessfully work either. Does anyone know what is going on?

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Try

Code:
Dim sDate As Long
Dim st As Date

st = DateValue(formMissingTime.txtStartDate.Value)
Columns(sDate).Select

Upvote 0
Sorry. In an effort to clean up my code before I posted, I removed to much on accident. Here is the actual code that is giving me a mismatch error:

Code:
Dim sDate, eDate As Long
Dim st, en As String

st = formMissingTime.txtStartDate.Value

Range(Columns(sDate), Columns(lastCol.Column - 13)).Select  'this line is giving the error
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
I haven't done anything with eDate or en yet. I did a WATCH on the sDate variable and before I get a mismatch error, the value of sDate is Error 2042.

Upvote 0
You could try converting textbox value to a date too. Dates are tricky and always more work - everything should be tested carefully as you write the code.
Code:
Dim st_text As String
Dim [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]st_date[/COLOR] As Date

st_text = formMissingTime.txtStartDate.Value
If IsDate(st_text) Then
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]st_date[/COLOR] = st_text
End if

sDate = Application.Match([COLOR="RoyalBlue"]st_date[/COLOR], Range("J2:AAA2"), 0)

Hopefully that succeeds.

Upvote 0
LastCol is an integer which represents the last used column in the table.

I tried xenou's suggestion, but it is not finding the date in the table. When I hover over the variable st_date, its value is 12:00:00AM but it should have been the date I chose in my form which was 11/8/2010. sDate's value is still Error 2042 which makes sense. It won't find a time on my table.

Match is supposed to return an integer which represents the column it finds the date in right?

Upvote 0
The textbox contains text so you'll need to convert it. Try

Code:
st = DateValue(formMissingTime.txtStartDate.Value)

MATCH returns effectively an offset, so if the date was in column J, MATCH would return 1. You'll need to adjust the code to account for that.

Upvote 0
Also, I put a WATCH on formMissingTime.txtStartDate and it's value is blank ("") This is odd, because the calendar in my form populates the txtStartDate textbox fine.

Upvote 0
Why don't you take the date value directly from the calendar - that should return a date rather than text.

Upvote 0
Code:
st_date = DateValue(formMissingTime.txtStartDate.Value)
Dim st_date As Date

st_date = DateValue(formMissingTime.txtStartDate.Value)
sDate = Application.Match((st_date), Range("J2:AAA2"), 0)
 If IsError(sDate) = True Then
    MsgBox "Could not find start date in table"
End If

st_date now contains "11/8/2010" but my msgbox is popping up as sDate is still error 2042. How do I know if my dates in my table are formated as dates? The dates views look like 11/8 but when I click on the cell the real value is "11/8/2010"

The reason I wasn't taking the date from the calendar (aside from the fact I didn't really think about doing that) was because the user is filling out a form with a name txt box, start date, and end date. then they click a run button and the run button calls my macro in module1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back