Dates on Y Axis Monthly Interval

koamapping

Hello,
Please send guidance regarding dates on y axis.
How can the spacing be set to reflect months?

I am presently using a Line Chart which recognizes dates on x axis but not the y.

Any help is much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Thank you for the lead.
Great idea.
Doesn't quite work for my situation.
Since I am using a line chart all of my data need to have the same x axis values so if I add dates to the x axis (e.g. May 1st, June 1st) that I don't have points for the other data will be misaligned. That is all of the "Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels" have to be the same.

Upvote 0
I really don't follow what you want to chart. You want months on the Y axis and dates on the X axis?

Perhaps you could use an XY-scatter chart instead of a line-type chart. If the Y axis values are dates, you can change the Y axis format to display the Month instead of the date. It would still look like a line chart.

Otherwise, can you give a small data example?

Upvote 0
Thank you for trying to get to the root of the problem.
Ultimately I am plotting dates on both axis.
The graph shows dates that a river and its tributaries dry.
Please see the image found here
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
for an example of the goal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I really don't follow what you want to chart. You want months on the Y axis and dates on the X axis?

Perhaps you could use an XY-scatter chart instead of a line-type chart. If the Y axis values are dates, you can change the Y axis format to display the Month instead of the date. It would still look like a line chart.

Otherwise, can you give a small data example?

Upvote 0
The chart above shows the problem with the dates on the y axis.
Since the numbers are not recognized as dates the way to make the labels and lines split at the beginning of the month seems tricky.

Upvote 0
You should be able to get very close to that using an XY Scatter chart type. Format both the X and Y Axis the same (or nearly the same). You'll probably have to manually fiddle with the axis scaling to get it to do what you want.

Axis number format: mmm d, yyyy

Axis scale: (serial date values)
Min: 1st of the month for the first month on the axis e.g. April 1, 2013 = 74236
Max: Last day of the last month on the axis e.g. April 30, 2013 = 74266
Major unit: 30.5

Each major unit will be the 1st of the month or the last day of the month because of the unequal number of days for months. Your example image has the same issue on the Y axis.

I don't know how to make the axis cross each major unit perfectly though. You may have better success if you format the Y axis like mmm yyyy and omit the day. Then you could fudge the Min-Max-Major settings to get it close.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hideto94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back