1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, this is more a a theory question than practical;
in the measure ;

Excel Formula:
Tbetween:=CALCULATE([TotalUnits], 
                                    FILTER(ALL(Table1[Units]), 
                                                         Table1[Units] <= MAX(Table3[Max]) && Table1[Units] >= MIN(Table3[Min])  ) )

These two tables are not connected, and if you just use the comparison operator Table1 cannont 'see' Table3 , but as soon as you use
MIN or MAX the Table3 columns show up in the intelisense options, the MS docs does not have any info on who this works,
any information or direction to where it could be found would be appreciated.

Richard.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I am not a DAX pro but I believe the reason is a table can't "see" disconnected tables but when you use functions that return values instead of tables you're not working with disconnected tables anymore but numbers. And in DAX ( Excel in general ) a number is a number no matter how you get it.

If you want to create a connection between the tables you can try using the TREATAS function to create one.

Upvote 1
I am not a DAX pro but I believe the reason is a table can't "see" disconnected tables but when you use functions that return values instead of tables you're not working with disconnected tables anymore but numbers. And in DAX ( Excel in general ) a number is a number no matter how you get it.

If you want to create a connection between the tables you can try using the TREATAS function to create one.
That sort of makes sense in a DAX sort of way, I don't need them connected and have never lived TREATAS as I don't really understand how it works, this was more of a ' I wonder why ' than of practical use, one of those things like VALUES(table) with one value behaves like a scaler for filtering.
Happy Christmas.
I'll leave this open and see if I get other answers just for the moment.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mystic19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back