Decimal Seconds are being rounded by Excel

keith2511

I am using Excel 2013 to enter times in minutes and seconds to one decimal place.

The cells have been formatted using the custom format mm:ss.0

When I enter 1:51.9, the value is displayed correctly in the cell i.e. 01:51.9 but if I edit the cell, 00:01:52 is shown in the formula bar and if I use the contents of the cell in other formulae, LEFT for example, LEFT(cell ref, 2) returns 0.

Any idea what is happening here?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I did the following testing,

Put 1:59:40 in A1 (formula bar shows 1:50:40 AM
Put =a1/60 in E1. (cell shows 0:01:51, formula bar shows = A1/60)
Custom format E to h:mm:ss.0 (cell shows 0:01:50.7)
Copy E1, paste special/values, the cell shows 0:01:59.7, but the formula bar shows 12:01:51 AM.

As a test, I put =E1*60 in another cell and it returns 1:59:40.

The issues isn't with the underlying value (.00128472222222) but with Excel's cell value to Formula bar conversion.

If I use LEFT(E1, ROWS($1:1)) and drag down, I get the series 0, 0., 0.0, 0.00, 0.001, ...
The LEFT is being applied to the unformatted serial time value.

Upvote 0
When I enter 1:51.9, the value is displayed correctly in the cell i.e. 01:51.9 but if I edit the cell, 00:01:52 is shown in the formula bar and if I use the contents of the cell in other formulae, LEFT for example, LEFT(cell ref, 2) returns 0. Any idea what is happening here?

You are correct, and there is nothing we can about it, AFAIK. There are two separate issues.

First, when we edit cells, we edit the cell contents as they appear in the Formula Bar. The Formula Bar presents time only to the second. We cannot see fractional seconds; ergo, we cannot edit them(!). And the Formula Bar rounds fractional seconds to the second. The only work-around that I know is: re-enter the entire time. :(

Second, when we use LEFT(cellref,...) and any other string function, numeric cell values are always presented in Number or Scientific form, depending on magnitude, regardless of how they appear in the cell. For that reason, I do not use string functions (other than TEXT) with numeric cell references. We never know what we'll get.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back