determine lead/lag times between data series

henryh2

Hello everyone,

I have two data series (two columns, ~600 rows long each; one is the monthly closing price of a stock index and the other is a macroeconomic indicator) and I'm looking to find out some information between them (the lead/lag times).

I need to figure out how to:
- determine where each series peaks and troughs (there are many peaks and troughs)
- determine the lead/lag time between these peaks and troughs. i.e. when series one peaks series two peaks X months later (each row represents a month)

I am absolutely stumped as to how to do this!

Thanks!
Henry

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Thanks Paddy, that works perfectly for determining peaks and troughs.

Also would you know how to determine lead/lag times between peaks/troughs? Say series one (Column D), on row 5, determined a peak and series 2 (Column G), on row 7, peaked. What formula would I use to display that the lead time was 2?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
How would you know which peak matched with which other peak? Say you have in Column D peaks on row 5 and 10. Column E has a peak on row 7. How would you know the lead time is 2 or 3?

Upvote 0
First I'm going to determine the peaks/troughs and then I'll selectively choose which of these are relevant. I should be left with ~4-5 peaks (per series) for my data range which spans 1959-current. The theory is that series 1 is a leading indicator of series 2 so I'm going to base my study on that assumption (or at least see how it turns out).

So all I need to do at this point is figure out how to determine lead/lag times in between peaks and troughs of different series.

Upvote 0
Something like this? Bit too much info but all formulas are alike and can be dragged down from D2:

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1TimeP/T Series 1P/T Series 2Lead Series 1
32Peak1
43Peak 
65Trough2
87PeakTrough3
1110Peak 
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back