Dividing a number by the number of sheets where a cell is more than 0

hsl9999

I have a workbook with 101 sheets. Field A1 on Sheet1 through A1 on sheet100 may or may not contain a number greater than 0. On sheet101 I have the sum of all numbers from A1 of Sheet1 through A1 of Sheet100. What can I put as a formula if I want to take that total and divide by the number of sheets where A1 is not 0. For example there are 100 sheets between Sheet1 and Sheet100 but only 47 contain numbers greater than 0. So I want to get the average by dividing the sum of all values, between Sheet1 and Sheet100, divided by 47. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I'm working on it. It's troubling to discover that AVERAGEIFS, COUNTIFS, SUMIFS don't work across sheets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MAYBE...

=COUNT(Sheet2:Sheet11!A1)

<colgroup><col> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I think I came up with something that works.

This formula should report the number of non-0 in A1 of the worksheets named specifically Sheet1 to Sheet100 and those sheets between them. Pay particular attention to the syntax of the formula where the word Sheet is used (inside INDIRECT) and the values 1, 100, and 0.

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'Sheet"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&100))&"'!A1"),"<>"&0))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't know if you made a type-o.

All your sheets must be named in this fashion: Sheet1 (with no spaces, all the way up to 100); there must be exactly 100 sheets, and Sheet1 must come before Sheet100 in the worksheet tabs list. Try it on smaller sample set, say with five sheets, some of which have a 0 in the relevant cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DRSteele, just tried this and it works but fails if one of the sheets is not there.

HSL9999 is everysheet there 1 to 100?

I see you have noticed this...never mind

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, the portion ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&100)) reports an array of numerals 1 to 100. The next portion inside INDIRECT creates a huge array of references that are all of the form "'Sheet80'!A1" , for example. Those references are all passed into the array of COUNTIFS, which evaluates the conditional count.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back