Double vlookup/sumifs

ACHartz

Hello,

Apologies if this is basic or has already been answered, but I'm stuck on getting a formula correct. In essence, I have a sheet with:
1. A tab (Tab1) with information entered for each month
Month Sales Cost
Jan-18 45 3
Feb-18 22 1
etc
2. Anther tab (Tab2) listing each text month and the corresponding date
Jan Jan-18
Feb Feb-18
etc
3. A final tab where the user enters the month and a vlookup/match pulls that month's information
Month: Jan
Sales: =VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP((B1,Tab2!A1:B12,2,0),Tab1!A1:C12,Match(A2,Tab1!A1:A12,0),0)
Cost: =VLOOKUP(VLOOKUP((B1,Tab2!A1:B12,2,0),Tab1!A1:C12,Match(A3,Tab1!A1:A12,0),0)
etc

My current formula works. What I would like to do is add the ability to indicate either a month or a quarter. I have added the below to Tab2
Q1 Jan-18
Q1 Feb-18
Q1 Mar-18
Q2 Apr-18
etc

But I'm now stuck on how to change my vlookup to allow for multiple results. I assume I need to change the formula to a sumif or sumifs, but I don't know how to incorporate that with the vlookup to tell the formula what months are associated with Q1.

Thank you in advance for your help! I hope that the formatting looks OK, I can't download any of the applications that would allow me to post screenshots.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Re: Help with double vlookup/sumifs

Hi AC & welcome to the Forum

Having Tab2 as an intermediate lookup / translation table is a bit clunky, and the resulting double vlookup adds unnecessary calculation overhead and time.

My initial suggestion would be to expand Tab1 (where your "real" data is held) to look like this:
A
B
C
D
E
Month_Date
Month_Txt
Qtr
Sales
Cost
Jan-18
Jan
Q1
Feb-18
Feb
Q1

<tbody>
</tbody>

The values (text strings) Month_Txt and Qtr can be returned by formula from Month_Date.

Your formulas in Tab3 then become:
Lookup using Month_Txt
Sales: = IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$D$1:$D$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$B$1:$B$12, 0) ), 0)
Cost: = IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$E$1:$E$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$B$1:$B$12, 0) ), 0)

Lookup using Qtr
Sales: = IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$D$1:$D$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$C$1:$C$12, 0) ), 0)
Cost: = IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$E$1:$E$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$C$1:$C$12, 0) ), 0)

And if you want to be able to enter either Month_Txt or Qtr in the same lookup_value cell (Tab3!A2, etc.), one way is:
Sales = IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$D$1:$D$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$B$1:$B$12, 0) ), 0) + IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$D$1:$D$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$C$1:$C$12, 0) ), 0)
Cost = IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$D$1:$D$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$B$1:$B$12, 0) ), 0) + IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$D$1:$D$12, Match(A2, Tab1!$C$1:$C$12, 0) ), 0)

Only one leg of each formula will find a match & return the corresponding value, with the non-matching INDEX/MATCH producing a #N/A error which IFERROR will substitute with zero.

Note that the above (and your original formulas) does NOT allow for data for multiple years (e.g. Jan-18 and Jan-19) as the formula do not know which year-month combo you're seeking!:eek: A better overall solution may be to ensure that only date number values (which match those in Tab1!$A$1:$A$12) can be entered in Tab3!A2, etc. . (this can be implemented via Data Validation) and then just look for that value in Tab1!$A$1:$A$12.

HTH

Cheers

Upvote 0

Thank you Col! I had been trying to keep Tab1 as clean as I could since both Tab1 and Tab3 are presentation sheets, but I can just add some hidden columns to throw in the month and quarter and your formulas return what I'm looking for.

In trying to keep the sheet as flexible as possible though (since I will likely need to add more categories than just Sales and Cost), I'd like to have the formula reference A2 (Sales) or A3 (Cost) to determine which column in Tab1 to sum (instead of just Tab1!$D$1:$D$12 or Tab1!$E$1:$E$12). I was thinking another Index Match would work, like

=IFERROR(INDEX(INDEX(Tab1!$D$1:$E$12),,MATCH(A2,Tab1!$D$1:$E$1)...

But that isn't working, I think because it doesn't return the whole column that I want the rest of the formula to use. Is there a way to get that to work?

Upvote 0

Rather than an INDEX\INDEX\MATCH combo you need an INDEX\MATCH\MATCH that does this: INDEX( Range of Values to return, row position of Month, column position of value type)

Using the table in my post, where the column headings are in row 1 and first data row (Jan-18) is row 2:
=IFERROR( INDEX( Tab1!$D$1:$E$12, Match( [cell where Mth or Qtr is selected], Tab1!$B$1:$B$12, 0), Match([cell where Sales or Cost is selected], Tab1!$A$1:$E$1, 0)), 0)

Note that the first argument for the INDEX function now covers both Sales $ and Cost $ (i.e. two columns rather than just one.) and the MATCH's instruct it which row and column to return the value from.

Upvote 0

Book1
ABC
1MonthSalesCost
2Jan-18453
3Feb-18221
Sheet1

Book1
AB
1tickermonth/year
2Q1Jan-18
3Q1Feb-18
4Q1Mar-18
5Q2Apr-18
6JanJan-18
7FebFeb-18
Sheet2

Book1
ABC
1month/quartersalescost
2jan453
3Q1674
Sheet3

In B2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, copy across, and down:

=SUM(SUMIFS(INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$C,0,MATCH(B$1,INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$C,1,0),0)),Sheet1!$A:$A,IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$20=$A2,Sheet2!$B$2:$B$20)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back