Drop down to include or exclude a value in another cell.

Ravanos

What im trying to do is have a drop down box with A, B,C options in it ( i know how to do this part ), then would have an open cell to inter in numbers and have that value be added to another cell depending on the A,B, or c.

So for example

A1 b1______________ Total for A Total for B Total for C
B $45 ______________ $55______ $45______ $35
A2 b2
C $20
A3 B3
C $15
A4 B4
A $55

Im sorry if this was asked before but ive been searching for hours trying to get this done. Thank you in advance for any help that is given.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I put your dataset in a real table so it's easier to read
ABCDE
1B45554535
2C20
3C15
4A55

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now you said that the A column holds the drop down lists. There are 3 values in the drop down list(A, B, C). In column B is a blank cell where the user will input a number. Then you said that that number that is added by the user in column B gets added to another number, but you didn't say which number it gets added to and it doesn't show in your dataset. So cell B1 says 45. In cell A1, B was selected from the drop down list. So 45 plus what equals 55 in cell C1? How do you get that result?

Upvote 0
I'm sorry my post was a little confusing i will try to clear things up. C1 is the total for any A's selected, D1 is the total for any B's selected and E1 is for any C's that are selected. For example , In A3 i have 15 units of product C (B3 ) so with B2 and B3 added together i get 35 in E1. So if i change A3 to product B i now have D1 as 60 units and E1 falls to 20 Units. I'm trying to get so when i choose a drop down in column A ( ether product A,B,C ) determines where the numbers in column B will be added to so i get a total of each in column. I hope that clears it up.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Does this formula, copied across, do what you want?
The ranges for columns A & B will need to be (at least) as big as your data is (or is ever likely to be).

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1TotalTotalTotal
2ABC
3B45554535
4C20
5C15
6A55
Ravanos

Upvote 0
Ive tried that formula but it won’t change value if A goes to B. I may just have to rethink my layout for the spreadsheet

Upvote 0
That's weird because Peter's formula should definately of worked. I think you missed something. Did you make your table look like his?

Upvote 0
Did you make your table look like his?
In particular, do you have the A, B, C in cells by themselves like I have in row 2?

If you do have/need the headings to be like your original sample, then try like this.

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1Total for ATotal for BTotal for C
2B45554535
3C20
4C15
5A55
Ravanos

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That Worked! I think i messed up a cell with the other tried. Thank your very much for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back