Dynamic hyperlinks to hidden worksheets

jvalent9

I am working on a project that would contain data from multiple sites.

On the "Welcome" worksheet (the main page) there is a dropdown menu (form control combo box) that will select a site location (which then prompts a picture of the site to appear)

I also want a link to appear that will link the user to that sites data worksheet.

I have the following code in VBA:

PHP:
Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)       Dim strSheet As String        If InStr(Target.Parent, "!") > 0 Then      strSheet = Left(Target.Parent, InStr(1, Target.Parent, "!") - 1)   Else      strSheet = Target.Parent   End If       Sheets(strSheet).Visible = True   Sheets(strSheet).Select    End SubPrivate Sub Worksheet_Activate()       Dim ws As Excel.Worksheet       For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets      ws.Visible = (ws.Name = Me.Name)   Next    End Sub

This code works great if i make "static" links that appear all the time by going to the insert hyperlink button in the menu then choosing the worksheet while it is unhidden, then entering the code into the vba... the link will open all my hidden worksheets.
---But i don't want visible links for all the worksheets to show up all the time, I only want the link to the selected worksheet to show up (the site chosen from the dropdown menu)----

SOOO I created a dynamic link: =HYPERLINK("[.\]"&C4, B4)

B4 contains a vlookup dependent upon the output from the dropdown menu which returns the site name and therefore is what i use as the friendly name for the hyperlink. C4 is just text added to the site name in B4 so that it refers to the name of a worksheet (i.e. for the CATLETTSBURG site B4 contains "Catlettsburg" and C4 contains "#Catlettsburg!A1" )

This dynamic link works PERFECTLY when the worksheets are not hidden... however if I hide the worksheets it fails. I am very very new to VBA.... today was my first day playing with it. I was able to get it to work for the static links following Mr. Excel tutorials and a few other forums. I have a feeling that by tweaking some part of the VBA I can get it to work for the dynamic link but not sure what to do.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Welcome to the Board

The follow hyperlink event is not firing, try this instead:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim av
' assumes B4 or equivalent containing a sheet name
If InStr(Target.Formula, "LINK") > 0 Then
    av = Replace(Split(Split(Target.Formula, "&")(1), ",")(1), ")", "") ' get B4 from formula
    Sheets(CStr(Me.Range(av))).Visible = 1
    Sheets(CStr(Me.Range(av))).Activate
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
I had an epiphany this morning and ended up solving the issue, what I did was created a macro to change the subaddress of a static link since opening hidden worksheets only seems to work with static links.

simple macro:

Code:
Sub Macro1()'
' Macro1 Macro
'

'
    Selection.Hyperlinks(1).SubAddress = Range("B4")
End Sub

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board

The follow hyperlink event is not firing, try this instead:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim av
' assumes B4 or equivalent containing a sheet name
    av = Replace(Split(Split(Target.Formula, "&")(1), ",")(1), ")", "") ' get B4 from formula
    Sheets(CStr(Me.Range(av))).Visible = 1
    Sheets(CStr(Me.Range(av))).Activate
End If
End Sub

trips up at
Code:

however I think that is because it is a dynamic hyperlink and is the same issue I ran into with my original code. I did find a solution if interested check out my last reply up above. Used a macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back