Dynamic Performance/Potential 9 Box Grid in Excel

mcdonaldalan

I don't know if this is an easy thing to do. It could be worthy of a duelling podcast between Mr.Excel and Exelisfun :). I've attached a link to a source file that shows an example of what I'm aiming to do. Basically a 9 box grid exists. If a person in the list below is given a number between 1 and 9 a 'dot' shows up on the grid. If the number changes then the dot automatically moves to the new box number.

I'd appreciate any feedback on how to do this or if it can even be done. I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2329152/9 box grid mock up.xlsx

Andrew, this is really great. I've tried for a list of 30 people and it's working (no stacking). I'll be trying it out later today or tomorrow with a larger list. I'll update the board with the results.

P.S. Is it wrong that I'm really excited by this?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
In the version below I have tweaked the y axis values slightly when there is a tie:

https://app.box.com/s/31w0t1k4k2c50qniytyh

Awesome, works great. One last request, is there a way to make this slightly more expansive? The challenge I'm having is that my employee pool is approximately 100 people in total. When I add users to Column A and pull down the formula it doesn't work (for me, at least). Can additional rows be added easily up to 100?

Appreciate this effort more than you know...incredible work!!

Upvote 0
In what way doesn't pulling down the formulas work? You will have to add additional people to the chart as new series.

Upvote 0
Dear Andrew, This code is great. However, I have a slightly different issue. The 9 box grid positions we follow is different and I am not sure how I should I go about plotting people as per the grid setup we have.

6 3 1

8 5 2

9 7 4

Please help me here.

Upvote 0
Please post some representative sample data and the expected results.

So here is what I did, I enetered the below code where the Box Number is enetered (Ref Scatter chart file you uploaded)

=IF($B2=0,"0",IF($B2=1,"9",IF($B2=2,"7",IF($B2=3,"4",IF($B2=5="5",,IF($B2=6,"2",IF($B2=7,"6",IF($B2=8,"3",IF($B2=9,"1",IF($B2<9,"0"))))))))))

But I am sure there is a flaw in this code since there is a conflict when I eneter the number "2". I am very new to this excel coding. Please help.

I am sorry I am blocked from uploading any file from my office :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_a_advisoryforall

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back