Dynamic Performance/Potential 9 Box Grid in Excel

mcdonaldalan

I don't know if this is an easy thing to do. It could be worthy of a duelling podcast between Mr.Excel and Exelisfun :). I've attached a link to a source file that shows an example of what I'm aiming to do. Basically a 9 box grid exists. If a person in the list below is given a number between 1 and 9 a 'dot' shows up on the grid. If the number changes then the dot automatically moves to the new box number.

I'd appreciate any feedback on how to do this or if it can even be done. I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2329152/9 box grid mock up.xlsx

Yes both axes run from zero to 18. Actually there are three groups of 5 (the calibration range) on each axis, as nothing is ever plotted on the gridlines. The layout of the boxes is:

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

The box that the person appears in is determined by the values in column B. The vertical and horizontal position within the box is determined by the entries in column C. Formulas in columns C and D are used to calculate the position given the axis values used.

It sounds like you don't need a 9 box grid at all, but just an XY Scatter Chart. If you want to post some sample data and explain how you want the chart to look I'll see if I can help you.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
This is a great tool but I'm struggling to set it up to meet my needs. Like MiamiAnderson, I want to be able to enter a performance score (1, 2, 3, 4, or 5) and a potential score (1, 3, 5) and have it plot into the appropriate box as one "point" per person. I understand how you've set up the current version to plot, but it doesn't allow me to have a performance and potential score input and then plot automatically. Here's what I mean: For instance, Joe is a 3, 5 score, Sue is a 5, 3 score, and Bill is a 1, 3 score. Using the nine box, Joe would be in box 8 (medium performance, high potential), Sue would be in box 6 (high performance, medium potential), Bill would be in box 2 (low performance, medium potential). I would love to set up the sheet so I could have the columns of name, performance score, potential score and then have it plot correctly using your format. Any ideas? Thanks - this thread has been great to read through...!

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew,

Would you be able to help me with the grid you shared, it has only parameter. Below is the dataset I need to plot in a 9 grid chart, plotting the current and future state.
Current state Future state

Leaders 1 3
Data 2 3
Technology 3 3
Mis 1 2
Others 2 3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back