Employee Scheduling in Excel

Mayrie

My Problem:
I currently create my employee schedule in excel and I am trying to find a way to decrease the time I spend entering date. Currently worksheet A lists the employee name in the first column and the days of the week as column headers, where I input the employee shifts for the week. This view is good for the employees because it shows them their total hours for the week. But I need to make sure we have the right staffing in the different departments, we have 6 job codes. Right now I manually enter the data onto worksheet B, the set up of B is not ideal. I have the days fo the week listed as column headers and the job codes in the first column. I basically type in the shift and employee name this table to see staffing by department. This ends up taking a ridiculous amount of time.

What I Want to Do:
Worksheet A: row headers-employee name, column headers-day of the week, start and end times desplayed in table
Worksheet B: row headers-job code, column headers-day of the week, employee name and shift displayed in table
I want to be able to enter only the shift times into either table and have the other table pull the information. The problem is that I want to be able to sort my list of employees (depending on job code, shift, a to z etc) and not have it mess up the other worksheet. I thought a pivot table would work best for this, but I cannot figure out the best way to set up my worksheet to allow for all the data to be on the pivot table.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:biggrin:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back