Error Transferring data from Access 2007 to Excel 2007 pivot table

bkande2

I have a database in Access which I am trying to import into an Excel pivot table. I have been successful in the past with that task from Excel by inserting a pivot table from an external data source.

I currently have a pivot table linked to Access, and I made changes in the Access database, so I want to update my pivot table in Excel. However, any time I hit "refresh", Excel tries to refresh for a minute and then gives me the error:
Error 3163: The field is too small to accept the amount of data you're trying to add

I've trying looking up this error in other forums, but it only comes up with other people in their code. Therefore, they're able to trace the error to a column or row size. I am not using any code here, just trying to update. So I have no idea how to identify the source of the problem or how to fix it. I've tried creating a new pivot table from the same Access query (instead of updating) and I am getting the same error message as a result.

Any advice?

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I was able to solve my own problem. I was linking an Excel file to Access, then combining an access table with the linked Excel table to create the query, which I was then feeding into an Excel Pivot table.
The problem was I had some merged cells in the original linked Excel spreadsheet that was causing the error to come up whenever I wanted to update the pivot table. When I unmerged the cells, my problem went away! :cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhester2010

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back