Error when running macro to copy and insert row

NerdNinja

Really stumped here. I just recently switched to Excel 2013 and some of my favorite macros are now generating errors. The odd part is that the macro will work perfectly when I first open my workbook, but if I make ANY changes to the table at all, then attempt to run the macro again, I receive Run-time error '-2147417848 (80010108)' Automation error The object involved has disconnected from its clients. The macro below was written to copy the topmost row of a table, insert the row immediately above (so it becomes the top row of the table), clear the contents of each cell (skipping over cells containing formulas), and return the active cell to the beginning of the row.

Sub Add_Row()
'
' Add_Row Macro
'

'
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Range("A1").Select
ActiveCell.Offset(2, 0).Rows("1:1").EntireRow.Select
Selection.Copy
Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown
ActiveCell.Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Selection.ClearContents
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Range("A1").Select
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2).Range("A1").Select
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
Selection.ClearContents
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -18).Range("A1").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

The macro always seems to break on Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown. Again, I can run the macro successfully when I first open the workbook, but if I add the copied/cleared row at the top and add information to it, then try to run the macro to add another copied/cleared row for my next entry, I get the error. Additional pain is that it crashes my excel and I have to close all workbooks (saved or not) and reopen before I can resume working. I've tried searching all over the web for a solution to this. HELP!

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Howdy,
First of all, this looks to be made by the macro recorder which makes it so odd.
so if you can explain what you want to do by examples, we may end up with some great code to make it look and work better.

Upvote 0
This was one of my earliest macros that I created, so it's probably more elementary than most. But I had been using it successfully in Excel 2010 for a couple years, so I never made any updates to it. However, when I recently transitioned to my new laptop (which uses Excel 2013) I transferred my spreadsheets to the new machine and noticed that some of the macros would not execute properly. The code above was recorded for a spreadsheet I use to track orders. The table contains formulas to calculate how long it takes for orders to be completed and shipped to the buyer. It also contains conditional formatting to color code the rows based on the status of the order. Unfortunately, it appears I cannot attach the workbook to this thread, so I've listed a very BASIC description of the table. Note, the code above is the exact code I use on the real tracking sheet, below are just examples of the fields and formulas I use.

Column headers:
A "Order #"
B "Name"
C "Date Ordered"
D "Days old" formula =IF($C2="","",IF($H2="SHIPPED","",TODAY()-$C2))
E "Item Description"
F "Expected Ship Date" formula =IF($C2="","",$C2+14)
G "Days left to ship" formula =IF($C2="","",IF($H2="SHIPPED","",$F2-TODAY()))
H "Status"
I "Date Shipped"
J "Order Completed in days" formula =IF($H2="SHIPPED",I2-C2,"")

The idea behind the macro was to make it easier to add a new row to the top of the table (so newest orders are always on top) with all the same formulas and conditional formatting. Before the macro, I would just copy the top row, and insert at the top of the table. Then go back and clear the cells without formulas so I could enter the new order information. I very simply just recorded those steps using the macro recorder and added a button for the macro to my quick access toolbar so it was a simple one-click step to create a blank entry row for new orders. But the macro keeps failing on the Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown command. I'm totally open to a new way to achieve the same results! Any advice would be VERY much appreciated!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrlanc20

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back