Errors with linked worksheets/cells

TheOldPuterMan

I created a new Workbook with a single sheet. I then did copy/paste to copy formula and data from a source Workbook/worksheet to the new one. I created and did copy/pastes for several other sheets. I then created a final sheet, called "Control_Sheet". I cut cells from the several source sheets and pasted them into that sheet.. Everything seemed correct BUT I am now getting linked field errors trying to access data on the Control_Sheet from other sheets in the new workbook.

All cells/arrays/tables on the "Control_Sheet" are named and correct. When I open the new Workbook I get a warning and the options to update or not for linked cells. There should be NO linkages to cells outside of the Workbook.

I have deleted the cells in error, re-entered formulas/data; deleted the names pointing to the erroneous cells, deleted and re-entered the formulas to no avail.

I even went as far as to copy the formulas in error, paste them to a text file, delete the cell contents on the worksheet and copy/paste from the text file back to the cell on the sheet.

I've searched the workbook, formulas, looking for external references but, other than references to other sheets in the same Workbook, have found none.

Any suggestions?? I've worked on this for some time and have not had this happen. Deliberate links, yes, but not ghost ones.

Microsoft EXCEL Users Group hasn't even replied to any of the posts I've made but one of their support techs suggested I try here.

Thanks all

TheOldPuterMan

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Thank You!

That was not the error, tho there were error names. Those I corrected as needed but alas no go.

Your hint was enough to help me solve the problem. Not having often worked with linked sheets I had made a very basic error. The sheet that contains all of the "Control" data that I use is named "MONTH Control Sheet" where "MONTH" is the month of the year that the data belongs to.

I was referencing the cells on that sheet as MONTH_Control_Sheet!Cell_Name. but because of the spaces in the sheet name EXCEL thought that it was an external reference.

I changed my references to 'MONTH Control Sheet'!Cell name and Viola, all is well.

Thank you so much, this has been a frustrating time and I am grateful to be done with it.

Not even MS Support caught this very basic error.

Thanks,

TheOldPuterMan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back