Excel 2003 crash by linking

P_Lark

Hi,
I have a problem with Excel 2003.
If I make linking between another worksheets in a workbook or when I try to link from other worksheets in formula does application excel.exe to crash.
see sample ( formula in cell =+'D:\Document_2009\FII_Financ\2009\PDC\[calculation_pdc_2009.xls]Oct'!$BW$8)
The error messages on my computer is following:
Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8316.0,
stamp 4ace3b8f, faulting module excel.exe, version 11.0.8316.0,
stamp 4ace3b8f, ,fDebug: 0, Offset: 001cb5c9

(PC DELL OPTIFLEX 170 - Windows XP ver.2002, SP3 Intel Pentium 4, 2,8GHz - Microsoft Office Excel 2003 11.8316.8221 SP3 (Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003) )

Why can I do to resolve this problem?
Thank you for your help.

Paul

This worked a treat - It was causing so much hassle - Well done to the person who sussed this out.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Removing a security update is never a good idea unless there is no other workaround. In this case, I believe that you probably have freeze panes on, and edit directly in cell turned off. If you enable edit directly in cell, it should resolve the crash without removing the security patch.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your advice and tips. The situation in my case called for this radical solution. I will waiting for a new latest Microsoft Security Update for Office 2003 .
Paul

Upvote 0
I had the same problem and found the fix mentioned and was successful as well 2 days ago. Now the problem is back. Checked programs and that security update is still not installed. Went ahead and tried removing the Excel11 file again - but no luck.

Anyone have any other bright ideas? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the information above.

My work IT department has now confirmed that it was the security update that has caused excel to crash when linking or using formulae between different worksheets.

Their solution has been to remove the security update and contact Microsoft to get a Hotfix released to solve the problem.

The workaround we have been using up until now is to unfreeze panes in the entire workbook before adding or following any links or formulae between worksheets, which seems to work. However removing the security update has restored all excel's functionality.

Upvote 0
I am using Excel 2007 and have same problem when linking files, do you know if the same update is the cause

Thanks

Jen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back