Excel 2007 - 2003 compatibility issues via intranet

riashakkoua

Hey there,

I work for a pulp and paper mill and we have "toolbox meetings" everyday. Its an Excel worksheet that I made in Excel 2007, has a simple calendar on it with hyperlinks referring to tabs corresponding to the dates on the calendar. The file is saved as a 1997 - 2003 format (.xls) and is put on a common folder on the server so that when someone logs onto the mill intranet they can just click the link and open the worksheet and print it off without hassle.
The whole thing works great for people here using Excel 2007, the problem is when all the other people who are using the 2003 version try to open the link on the site. Besides it asking to update each time, once it is opened they cannot click the print button on the toolbar (I know Ctrl + P would work just fine but management says that's not good enough) nor does it print on a single page unlike its 2007 counterpart.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Also,

When saving the file I encounter a series of these messages:

"<TABLE style="WIDTH: 338pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=451><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 338pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 16493" width=451><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 60pt" height=80><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: black 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 338pt; HEIGHT: 60pt; BORDER-TOP: black 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl67 height=80 width=451>Some formulas in this workbook are linked to other workbooks that are closed. When these formulas are recalculated in earlier versions of Excel without opening the linked workbooks, characters beyond the 255-character limit cannot be returned.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>"
Not sure if that has anything to do with the issue at hand but the more information out there the better.

Upvote 0
Little update...

Along with the above problems, I was tinkering around and noticed that if the file is opened from the server folder using Excel 2003 it works perfectly. However, when the file is opened via the link on our intranet it doesn't work out so well..

Still not sure what's going on there haha

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back