Issues with Excel 365 documents coming up as error via online link.

tbones

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a macro enabled excel 365 document that I would like others to view via a link.

When i test it out and click on the link the document opens and at the top it said links are not enabled so it asks me to enable it. When I do that the whole document comes up as REF

When I open up the source document then the first documents seems to update. I am really not sure what I have done wrong or what I am doing wrong.

I want many people to be able to view the first document at the same time without the other document being needed to be open.

Any help would be great.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I think you need to review the options with the external links.
Open your file, then Menu /File /Information; one of the last information on the second column (just after the owner of the document) there is an option that says "Modify external links" (or something similar): click on it and the "Modify links" window will be shown; set Updating to Manual; press Startup prompt and set it to Don't show the warning and don't update the links automatically".
This way when the users open the file the stored values should be displayed; updating may still be asked using the Update command in the Data tab

Try...

Upvote 0
I think you need to review the options with the external links.
Open your file, then Menu /File /Information; one of the last information on the second column (just after the owner of the document) there is an option that says "Modify external links" (or something similar): click on it and the "Modify links" window will be shown; set Updating to Manual; press Startup prompt and set it to Don't show the warning and don't update the links automatically".
This way when the users open the file the stored values should be displayed; updating may still be asked using the Update command in the Data tab

Try...
Thank you Anthony I cannot find what you had mentioned . I have also seen something else that may be the issue. So what i think is happening is that as the data is changes it updates the link and gives it a different name hence when someone clicks the link it does not work as the link to the sheet has changed slightly. So what I have done is got to File/Options/advanced/general/web options/files and on that I unchecked the Update Links on Save.
I am hoping that works.

What I have noticed is that the links do not update once I have protected the sheet. However what I am trying to is only have certain cells editable hence protecting the cells so that they can be changed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back