Excel 2007, 64 bit slower than 32 bit????

raven_squire

Board Regular
Hello,

I recently changed from office 32bit to office 64bit as I had hoped that it would bring an increase in performance.

I have one macro that I use regurlarly, it searches through lots of arrays generated from csv data imported to memory.
This macro took two and a half minutes te execute on average with the 32 bit version of excel. It now takes 8 minutes with the 64 bit version.

Can anyone explain why this might be? Is there any way to get the performance increase I was looking for?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hello,

I recently changed from office 32bit to office 64bit as I had hoped that it would bring an increase in performance.

I have one macro that I use regurlarly, it searches through lots of arrays generated from csv data imported to memory.
This macro took two and a half minutes te execute on average with the 32 bit version of excel. It now takes 8 minutes with the 64 bit version.

Can anyone explain why this might be? Is there any way to get the performance increase I was looking for?

I used to work with 32bit excel and now I have 64bit but I haven't noticed any difference in performance/speed when running macros... but it could be because of the different memory layout and increased size of some data types .

Sorry if my response is rather vague and hasn't been helpful .. maybe someone else can shed a light on this.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the interest. The data that the macro uses and the purpose of the macro is sensitive so I would be in a bit of trouble if I posted it on a forum. I can understand if this makes it hard to give any assistance.

Upvote 0
Jaafar,
Thank you for your input, it does make me wonder if the installation wasn't fantastic given that there would be remenants of the old installation in the registery still. I have been meaning to rebuild the computer and I think it might be a good idea to do it soon.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back