EXCEL 2007 - crash when sorting

themurfs

I use EXCEL 2007.

I have small EXCEL spreadsheet (36 rows) that when I sort on two columns, crashes. Every time. I can add a worksheet and sort stuff on new worksheet, but the worksheet that crashes still crashes.

This spreadsheet started at 1.3M, have been using it for years with few changes to formulas/named ranges/etc - only changing data. Suddenly, about two months ago, started crashing on sort that had been working. I;ve been using EXCEL 2007 longer than that, so wasn't upgrade that did it (maybe security patch or something?).

Have deleted rows, worksheets, named ranges, calculations, reference, etc, etc to get down to 28K that still doesn't sort.

And with the 28K version, if i make one small change, a calculation change or delete a row or column or change a named range - magically the sort doesn't crash. So I can't pin down what is causing the crash to figure a workaround/bandaid.

Not sure what to try next. Anyone got ideas where to look for solution or workaround?

thanks for any leads on what to look for, what to try next - this is really frustrating.

mm.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
try to switch off automatic calculation to manual insead od automatic Before, you make any sort and after did sort turn on automatic calculation
link

Upvote 0
I tried the suggestion to turn off auto calc. Still crashes.

For what it is worth, it looks like the sort happens, but before control is returned (i.e. hour glass disappears), the crash happens.

From other suggestions, I removed a COM addin (no change, still crashes). I also ran Office Diagnostics - no problems found.

On a Microsoft forum, there was report of similar sounding problem in EXCEL 2010 from January/February timeframe, with no response from MSFT.

Still looking for a workaround and more ideas of things to try.

Upvote 0
I use EXCEL 2007.

I have small EXCEL spreadsheet (36 rows) that when I sort on two columns, crashes. Every time. I can add a worksheet and sort stuff on new worksheet, but the worksheet that crashes still crashes.

This spreadsheet started at 1.3M, have been using it for years with few changes to formulas/named ranges/etc - only changing data. Suddenly, about two months ago, started crashing on sort that had been working. I;ve been using EXCEL 2007 longer than that, so wasn't upgrade that did it (maybe security patch or something?).

Have deleted rows, worksheets, named ranges, calculations, reference, etc, etc to get down to 28K that still doesn't sort.

And with the 28K version, if i make one small change, a calculation change or delete a row or column or change a named range - magically the sort doesn't crash. So I can't pin down what is causing the crash to figure a workaround/bandaid.

Not sure what to try next. Anyone got ideas where to look for solution or workaround?

thanks for any leads on what to look for, what to try next - this is really frustrating.

mm.

TRY DOWNLOADING THIS - Microsoft Excel Excess Formatting Cleaner Add-in. It works fine for me

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back