Excel 2007 vs Excel 2003

occam

I have a basic question. (Running Microsoft Excel 2007 on an XP SP3 machine) I am using an Excel file with macros. The file is 'macro enabled', but when I click on a specific button (non-Microsoft) within the spreadsheet, I get a Microsoft Visual Basic Error : " run-time error '1004' Select method of Range class failed " I have contacted the (government) department issuing this mandatory form. Their diagnosis is "This is a Excel version issue. Use Excel 2003, not 2007" ! I am stumped! I upgraded to MS Office 2007 some time ago, and have no access to earlier versions. I have tried to create "Compatible Mode" versions of the file (compatible with Excel 97-2003 workbook) but still the same error. Question 1 - is their diagnosis correct? Question 2 - If not, is there a work-around? Thanks for /any/ pointers. occam

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi, I had a similar issue because when they installed my Excel 2007 my macros didn't work either. It appeared that you have to specifically select the install of VBA during installation. You can find it in the "office shared components" section during install.

Upvote 0
Hi, I had a similar issue because when they installed my Excel 2007 my macros didn't work either. It appeared that you have to specifically select the install of VBA during installation. You can find it in the "office shared components" section during install.

What are the options to look for. (I am not familiar with VBA.) And can VBA be downloaded and installed retrospectively from an MS site?

Upvote 0
Right click any Toolbar and choose Control Toolbox. Click the Design icon top left then right click the button. Do you see a menu?

Upvote 0
Right click any Toolbar and choose Control Toolbox. Click the Design icon top left then right click the button. Do you see a menu?

Thanks Andrew - when I right click on the toolbar, I get two options "Customize Quick Access Toolbar" and "Show Quick Access Toolbar below the ribbon". I do not see "Control Toolbox". occam

Upvote 0
Silly me. In Excel 2007 the Control Toolbox is on the Developer tab. If you don't see that tab, it's Office Button|Excel Options|Popular|Show Developer tab in the Ribbon.

Upvote 0
Silly me. In Excel 2007 the Control Toolbox is on the Developer tab. If you don't see that tab, it's Office Button|Excel Options|Popular|Show Developer tab in the Ribbon.

OK, under the Developer tab there are 4 sub-menus: Code; Controls; XML; Modify. I've tried to 'View Code' (the offending macro is called 'fNewParticipant' - which should allow me to add a new participant to the form) but this is password protected by the designer I presume.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back