EXCEL 2010 – Add-in, vba reference and macro security issue

Exc3l_FR

Hi<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have a spreadsheet that uses a number of public functions from an add-in in cell formulas. These same public functions are also called in the macros of the spreadsheet and so the add-in is referenced in the spreadsheet code.<o:p></o:p>
If the following situation occurs, then the spreadsheet cells that use the public functions all appear “#NAME?”:<o:p></o:p>
  • The referenced add-in is also ticked by the spreadsheet user in the add-in manager; <o:p></o:p>
  • Macro settings are set to “Disable all macros with notification” (and the user selects to enable content); and <o:p></o:p>
  • This spreadsheet is not a “Trusted” document (i.e. the enable content option is displayed on opening and not automatically accepted) <o:p></o:p>
If the user does not tick the add-in in the add-in manager, but macros are disabled with notification, the #NAME? error does not occur.<o:p></o:p>
If the user has the add-in ticked but macro settings are set to enabled the #NAME? error does not occur.<o:p></o:p>
In order to get the cells using the public functions to calculate when the #NAME? error occurs, the user has to enter each cell and hit return.<o:p></o:p>
An easy solution would be for users not to have the add-ins ticked. However, this isn’t an ideal or practical solution as other spreadsheets use these add-ins and there is a global policy to have these ticked.<o:p></o:p>
Do you know why having an add-in ticked and referenced causes this issue? How we can fix this please?<o:p></o:p>
The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Trust</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Center</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> settings are such that spreadsheets on our network should be Trusted Documents. But it appears Excel does not recognise the spreadsheet as trusted until the second time it is opened. <o:p></o:p>
Again an easy solution would be to list our network drive in the trusted documents location but I thought that the “Trust all documents on network” tick box would do this automatically.<o:p></o:p>
Has anyone else come across this before?<o:p></o:p>
I am using 32 Bit Excel 2010. <o:p></o:p>
I do not have the same issue opening the same spreadsheet saved as a .xls file in 2003. <o:p></o:p>
I do not have the same issue opening the same spreadsheet saved as a .xls file in 2003 but opened in compatibility mode in 2010.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back