Excel 2010 'ghost' workbook shown in Move or Copy dialogue box

LukePUK

Hi All

My second ever forum post, exciting times! I am using Excel 2010 in Windows 7 on a new work network and have a personal macro workbook. I mention these points because I have been having issues which are related to them. Firstly I am sometimes forced to open files as read only because they are 'locked for editing by another user' even when I am certain no one else is using them, because no one but me has access to them, I don't have another version of the file open. I also frequently have to open my personal workbook manually as this does not happen automatically, very frustrating but not the issues I am posting about.

When I open the Move or Copy dialogue box by right clicking on a sheet tab and click on the 'To book:' drop down I can see a workbook which isn't open as one of the options to move to, I think from memory that this always has the 'copy of' prefix. The workbook is not visible on my start bar, I have only one instance of excel running, task manager, Applications shows only one instance although there are two EXCEL.EXE processes listed in Task manager, currently one at 29.6mb and one at 6.9mb. if I try to move the sheet to it just for fun I get a 'Permission to this workbook is currently restricted' message.

This may not seem like a big deal but I am wondering if it is linked to the other two issues I have mentioned and I have experienced some unexplained crashes which have resulted in me losing work.

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.
Luke

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back