Excel 2010 Version Control

RyanPitt

Dear all Mr Excel Gurus,

I am attempting to build a workbook, which will be continually updated. However, I would like to be able to keep each and every version of the workbook that is saved.

I can obviously set a macro to encourage everyone to Save As, rather than just save over the top, but this could be saved as anything and might not follow my "rules" of version control...?

Ideally, i would like some kind of module or macro that would save the document in a certain format. ie.

Important Workbook V0.1
Important Workbook V0.2... etc

Also, if this is possible, then would also like excel to notify someone if they are not in the most uptodate version of the document, although i feel this might be stretching the excel technology slightly.

Any help or guidance you can give would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Ryan

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I am attempting to build a workbook, which will be continually updated. However, I would like to be able to keep each and every version of the workbook that is saved.

I can obviously set a macro to encourage everyone to Save As, rather than just save over the top, but this could be saved as anything and might not follow my "rules" of version control...?

ThisWorkbook.SaveCopyAs FullName

...along with some checking as to what versions (filenames) exist in a predetermined folder might work. I would think we'd be saving an awful amount of data in a short time; presuming users have the good habit to save often.

Ideally, i would like some kind of module or macro that would save the document in a certain format. ie.

Important Workbook V0.1
Important Workbook V0.2... etc

Not testing at the moment, but I think SaveCopyAs keeps the same fileformat. If you are referring to naming the workbook, I would tack on numbers at the end as you show, but not wanting a headache, I would stack zeros at the start to make the string easy to compare.
Also, if this is possible, then would also like excel to notify someone if they are not in the most uptodate version of the document, although i feel this might be stretching the excel technology slightly.
Sort of not applicable if you save the copies to a tucked-away folder. IMO, having a bunch of different versions in the same folder (all easily spotted by the users) begs for less satisfactory results.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieHobbo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back