Excel 2016 form/workbook behavior vs 2010

litecell

Hello All,

Hoping someone can help me out as i have been unable to figure this out and google searches haven't turned up anything for me.

I have a protected workbook(wb1) with forms and associated vba code. The workbook opens other protected workbooks(wb2) and allows users to perform certain functions and input data and then updates wb2. The forms also have scroll buttons so wb2 can be navigated from the forms. When the forms in wb1 open wb2, wb2 is activated and visible so all functions of the form are applied to wb2.

In Excel 2016 this does not work as wb2 stays in the background and cannot be manipulated by the forms in wb1. I have tried various ways of trying activate/set focus to wb2 but nothing has worked. I am not sure if this was a bug in Excel 2010 that has just worked this whole time or if its a bug/change in Excel 2016.

I hope i have explained myself well enough for someone to be able to help me out.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Were you using 2010-32bit? Still using 32-bit?
Does your VBA ignore errors?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Both are 32 bit, however, you just made me realize something... Excel 2010 is running on Windows 7 and Excel 2016 is running on Windows 10 so i will need to test 2016 on Windows 7.

Also, erros are on and the only error that pops up is because the sheets that wb1 is trying to update dont exist in wb1 they are in wb2.

Upvote 0
Ok so the problem does not appear with excel 2010 running on windows 10. I will throw 2016 on a windows 7 system and see what happens, at this point in thinking its an issue with 2016 though.

Upvote 0
Just tried 2016 on a windows 7 system and it still doesn't work so its definitely a change in the way 2016 handles workbooks. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks All!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back