Excel applications that run in both XP/2003 and Vista

jlefebvre

I have several Excel applications that run fine in XP/2003.

I know at some point I will need to re-write them to run in Excel Vista.

Have others had success re-writing applications for Vista, yet maintaining compatibility in XP/2003?

Thanks.

Jeff

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I think generally the compatibility between Office 2003 and 2007 is pretty good. The immediate thing that comes to mind would be VBA commands like:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Cells(65536,1).End(xlUp).Row<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Which would now need to reflect the new maximum row value. However, this is solved with Rows.Count as a replacement for 65536.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The problems you are more likely to have is using workbooks in 2003 that were written in 2007, but you can save 2007 files as a backward compatible file types anyway so that should be fine. I’ve not experienced any real problems with flicking between the two so far.

Upvote 0
One of the complains I've seen the most is they removed Application.Filesearch from 2007.

But you can use Dir instead..

Upvote 0
Thanks.

My main concern is probably the User Interface. The XP/2003 applications use toolbars/commandbars (and they tend to hide all Excel functions/menus).

When I convert for Vista I'll have to use Ribbons or something else. Using the Addin Ribbon is not an option since my applications need to look like stand alone applications, not jazzed up Excel spreadsheets.

Once I code for an interface without toolbars/commandbars and the new UI, how will that application then work again back in XP/2003?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerifiedBleachersAttendee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back