Excel crashing question

Callamity

BLUF: (Bottom line up front) So if my basic MS Office 2007 program itself is provided by a preset image and is the same on all computers and I'm on my 3rd computer, the issue must be following me from my profile. Does anybody know what file(s) could be following me that could be causing a problem? I've tried deleting my PERSONAL.XLSB file before copying a profile over, but that hasn't helped.

Full explanation:

I've had crashes with Excel since before my daughter was born, and she will be 4 in June. The PC techs have worked on my computer for years and nothing seems to fix the problem, so I thought I'd ask and see if anybody here had come across a similar issue and may have a suggestion. I work for a company with 40,000 employees and we have a set number of PC's to choose from, and each type of computer has a preset image (software bundle) that is burned to a new PC with default software. My PC is nothing special and has no different software than anybody else. Even though I'm running the exact same image and software versions as everybody else, I'm the only one our PC techs know of that are having this problem.

I first noticed a problem about 4 years ago when I was maintaining a very basic spreadsheet with no macro's or scripts. I had a few formatting changes (cell color, bold, italics, very bland stuff), and the boxes that popped up when you mouse over a cell. Excel would crash, and about 50% of the time 100% of the cells would change to a DATE format, and the size of the pop up, mouse over text boxes would change, or collapse to where the box width was zero. I have gone in and modified the STYLES back to GENERAL, but after a few crashes many change back to DATE format. Every time I've had my system reimaged or my profile rebuilt, it has always gone back to the default DATE format when Excel crashes, except once when it started changing everything to ACCOUNTING, but since then it is defaulting back to DATE format again.

Since the problem started I have upgraded to a new laptop, switched from WIN XP 32 bit to WIN 7, 64 bit, upgraded from MS Office 2003 to 2007, upgraded and replaced my RAM, recreated my profile many times, reimaged the hard drive several times, swapped RAM with one of our PC techs, and last week I was given an almost brand new machine that belonged to someone that left the company and a new reimage and new profile, and I am still having the same issues.

What causes the crash? It varies...I can have a dozen workbooks open and Excel will crash, or I can have a single workbook open and crash. I can crash with no files open and open a spreadsheet from an e-mail that has never been on my computer before, and when Excel restarts the formats will be set to DATE everywhere again. The spreadsheet I use most has several sheets with a handful of macro's and I have created macro's to correct most of the formatting problems, but this exact same spreadsheet was given to a coworker a year ago and she hasn't had a single problem with it.

So if the basic MS Office 2007 program itself is provided and the same on all computers and I'm on my 3rd computer, the issue must be following me from my profile. Does anybody know what file(s) could be following me that could be causing a problem? I've tried deleting my PERSONAL.XLSB file before copying a profile over, but that hasn't helped.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
does the coworker ever have multiples open

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply Mole! My Excel just crashed again and every time I try to reopen a document (new, old, autorecover, original etc.) it chain crashes.

Yes, to do our job we frequently need to have multiple spreadsheets open. Some tasks require us to have 3 spreadsheets open at once minimum, for recording orders, referencing information and the customers order at a minimum for conference requests, and most likley at times there will be other spreadsheets open associated with other tasks if we are multi-tasking.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back