Excel Expression Error

MBClarke

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am no expert on power queries and I have search the internet for hours to see if I can figure out my error on its own, but I seem to have all the answers, but no idea how to correct my issue.

I have a spreadsheet that gathers data from a website. This has been working wonderfully since February, but all of a sudden when I open my Excel sheet, I get an expression error, and I don't know what has changed.

1655827417052.png

Data Source errors.xlsx
ABCD
1CurrencyCodeBank Selling.1Bank Buying.1
2EUROEUR17.103616.3249
3BRITISH POUNDGBP19.706618.7615
4UNITED STATES DOLLARUSD16.366815.7171
FNB Rates

I have uploaded my workbook to see the query and assist in what changed or went wrong.

Thanks for all the help.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hi

Can you paste your query? look like some column is missing or change in column name.

Go to query editor, click on advance editor and copy query and paste.

Cheers!!

Upvote 0
Hi Arunsfjain,

Thank you for getting back to me. What I find odd is that I have the same query in multiple Excel documents, some going back to February this year and as far as I know I never changed a column in the query or anything like that, but every copy of this document I have gives the same error.

Here is my query:

let
Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://www.fnb.co.za/rates/ForeignExchangeRates.html")),
Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = let
Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("Foreign Exchange Rates")),
Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Data0,{{"", type text}, {"Currency", type text}, {"Code", type text}, {"Bank Selling", type text}, {"Bank Buying", type text}}),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type","Bank Selling",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Bank Selling.1", "Bank Selling.2", "Bank Selling.3", "Bank Selling.4", "Bank Selling.5", "Bank Selling.6", "Bank Selling.7", "Bank Selling.8", "Bank Selling.9", "Bank Selling.10", "Bank Selling.11", "Bank Selling.12", "Bank Selling.13", "Bank Selling.14", "Bank Selling.15"}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Bank Selling.1", type number}, {"Bank Selling.2", type text}, {"Bank Selling.3", type text}, {"Bank Selling.4", type text}, {"Bank Selling.5", type text}, {"Bank Selling.6", type text}, {"Bank Selling.7", type text}, {"Bank Selling.8", type text}, {"Bank Selling.9", type text}, {"Bank Selling.10", type text}, {"Bank Selling.11", type text}, {"Bank Selling.12", type text}, {"Bank Selling.13", type text}, {"Bank Selling.14", type text}, {"Bank Selling.15", type number}}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"", "Currency", "Code", "Bank Selling.1", "Bank Buying", "Bank Selling.2", "Bank Selling.3", "Bank Selling.4", "Bank Selling.5", "Bank Selling.6", "Bank Selling.7", "Bank Selling.8", "Bank Selling.9", "Bank Selling.10", "Bank Selling.11", "Bank Selling.12", "Bank Selling.13", "Bank Selling.14", "Bank Selling.15"}),
#"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Reordered Columns","Bank Buying",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Bank Buying.1", "Bank Buying.2", "Bank Buying.3", "Bank Buying.4", "Bank Buying.5", "Bank Buying.6", "Bank Buying.7", "Bank Buying.8", "Bank Buying.9", "Bank Buying.10", "Bank Buying.11", "Bank Buying.12", "Bank Buying.13", "Bank Buying.14", "Bank Buying.15"}),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Bank Buying.1", type number}, {"Bank Buying.2", type text}, {"Bank Buying.3", type text}, {"Bank Buying.4", type text}, {"Bank Buying.5", type text}, {"Bank Buying.6", type text}, {"Bank Buying.7", type text}, {"Bank Buying.8", type text}, {"Bank Buying.9", type text}, {"Bank Buying.10", type text}, {"Bank Buying.11", type text}, {"Bank Buying.12", type text}, {"Bank Buying.13", type text}, {"Bank Buying.14", type text}, {"Bank Buying.15", type number}}),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type2",{"Currency", "Code", "Bank Selling.1", "Bank Buying.1"})
in
#"Removed Other Columns"
in
#"Changed Type"

Upvote 0
1656747154144.png

Remove Yellow highlighted "", from query then try. I hope it will help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry I am unable to access this website via power query.

Upvote 0
Hi Arunsjain,

That didn't work as it removed the currency fields from the query.

Upvote 0
Hi Arunsjain,

Is it possible to maybe have the query re-written as it was sent to me by someone who I cannot contact anymore? What I am trying to do is link the web page to a query that shows the sell and buy of each currency and then the ability to use that data elsewhere in the document.

Currently, if I only use the link the data returned cannot be used elsewhere as it is not formatted correctly. What I mean is that if USA buying is in cell C3, if I try to create a formula elsewhere and reference C3, I get odd data returned.

Thanks,
Malcolm

Upvote 0
Is it possible to try and Step In to through the query to see exactly where the error is coming from? That may narrow it down some.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back