Excel file opens in protective view, red message

Son

Hi, I have recently converted a large excel file with a lot of macros to work in excel 2016. I have many worksheets, all of which are protected and the VB Project is also Protected. The main problem, when trying to make the conversion, was that excel 2016 (and 2010) did not recognise the MS Calendar reference and I could not enable the macros. So, I removed the Calendar ref in a e pc with excel version 2003 and then copied by usb to the other laptop that has excel 2016.

In the new laptop with excel 2016 the file opens, but it only opens in protective view. Searching through the net I found that: "File validation failure - When you see a message in Protected View that says "Office has detected a problem with this file. Editing it may harm your computer. Click for more details.", the file didn’t pass file validation. File validation scans file for security problems that can result from changes in the file structure."

The problem is that I need to send the file to various users who will open it in excel 2016, so they should not open it in protective view and then have to press the button so as to open anyway.

Why is my file opening in protected view? What could be wrong and causes this to happen?

Also, some older version of the file have been red flagged by defender, and I get the message: threat detected Trojan:O97m/Foretype.A!ml .But it is the same file, only with half finished code. I don't know why the defender identifies it as having a trojan.

Maybe this is the reason that the finished file opens in protective view?

Have you ever encountered this? Is there a way to fix it?

Your thoughts and ideas would be most apprecieted!!!

Yes Anthony, exactly. I copy from the usb to the hard drive and then I open the file and excel opens it in a protective view.

So, any other ideas on why this could be happening?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
My best guess is that Windows know that the file was coming from an unsafe port and cannot be sure about who provided it.
Maybe you should ask on a security forum

But your end users will receive it via email, it should be clear to them why it opens in protected mode
Bye

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back