Excel Freezing during Filling Cells

chicosbailbonds

Does anyone have a solution? I didn't change any code recently but this started to happen yesterday. My Macro goes about copying a number of tabs out of a master Spreadsheet and then pastes them into a new Spreadsheet and pastes special a lot of data using defined names. I would appreciate any help as this is something I need to run daily.

Thanks,
Jim

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You haven't given much info to go on. Is it permanently freezing? What specific line of code is causing the issue?

FYI, I've always used an Excel 2003 paste-special macro keyboard shortcut I made, and when I moved to Excel 2007, the macro took a loooong time with any significant amount of cells selected. So much so that I don't really use it any more unless it's no more than 20 or 30 cells.

Upvote 0
It seems to freeze permanently, I'm still using 2003 XL no updates as far as I can tell. I'm somewhat new to VBA but have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I can see what sheet it freezes on and in the bottom left corner of Excel I see filling Cells and it is about 90-95% green with just a bit that is grey. I don't know how to test exactly what line is causing the issue. to paste special I have used Sheets("Sheetname").Range("DefinedName").Value = Sheets("Sheetname").Range("DefinedName").Value, I use this many times across many sheets. I appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
So you're really not using "Paste Special", you're just using VBA to set one cell's value equal to another?

Let's try to use VBA to Copy and Paste Special instead, see if that works:

Code:
Sheets("Sheetname1").Range("DefinedName").Copy
Sheets("Sheetname2").Range("DefinedName").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False

Upvote 0
I would suggest you put some error trapping in your code and see which worksheet/DefinedName is causing the error.
Then check what is in that sheet/name that errors when copied.

Did you put anything new into the workbook since the last time it worked correctly?
That might be your problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whatdoido

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back