Excel Macro to find/replace in Sheets & VBA Modules

FuseMP

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking to write a macro to have in my Personal Macro Workbook that will be able to be activated and run a series of Find/Replace's both on the worksheets of any Spreadsheet I have open and within the VBA of any macros inside that spreadsheet. The worksheets part of this is easy, but I cannot find a way to do it to the Visual Basic Editor, and trying to record the macro seems to not pick up anything done in VBA. I do not care if the code is clever enough to go through every VBA module or it needs to go "module1", "module2" and so on and run the find/replaces for each module seperately (because I guarantee that none of them are named otherwise); but so far, I have not been able to find anything that works and does an automatic find/replace in Excel VBA.

If it helps as an example, I am looking to change any reference in the VBA of "" to "/"

I have found something online about using VBINDE to change constants; but I haven't been able to modify it to change text as above.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Here's some code to find a string and have the line selected where it was found:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub LookInVBA(str2Find As String)
    Dim oComp As VBIDE.VBComponent
    Dim oBk As Workbook
    Dim lCount As Long
    Set oBk = ActiveWorkbook
    For Each oComp In oBk.VBProject.VBComponents
        Select Case oComp.Type
            Case vbext_ct_ClassModule, vbext_ct_Document, vbext_ct_StdModule
                For lCount = 1 To oComp.CodeModule.CountOfLines
                    If (oComp.CodeModule.Lines(lCount, 1) Like "*" & str2Find & "*") Then
                        oComp.CodeModule.CodePane.Show
                        SelectVBA oComp.CodeModule, lCount, Len(oComp.CodeModule.Lines(lCount, 1))
                        MsgBox "Found ya"
                    End If
                Next
        End Select
    Next
TidyUp:
    Application.Visible = True
    Exit Sub
locerr:
    If Err.Number = 1004 Then
            MsgBox "For this feature to work you must allow access to the VBA project Object model", vbOKOnly + vbExclamation
            Resume TidyUp
        End If

Resume TidyUp
End Sub

Function SelectVBA(oFoundObj As CodeModule, lLine As Long, lengthOfLine As Long)
    Application.VBE.MainWindow.Visible = True
    Application.Visible = False
    oFoundObj.CodePane.Show
    Application.VBE.ActiveCodePane.SetSelection lLine, 1, lLine, lengthOfLine + 1
End Function

Upvote 0
If this is a one-time thing I imagine you could open each module and do a find/replace (ctl+h) - but you can't find that utility?

Upvote 0
It is a one time thing, however its a one time thing across about 100 spreadsheets and needing to find/replace 2 or 3 things in each; so im trying to avoid manually doing it 300 times with a macro that i can run once per spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
My free Flexfind utility (though it does not "do" VBA) might help. It allows you to do a S&R in multiple workbooks open in Excel in one swoop. Free Flexfind Excel add-in

Then the mz-tools VBE add-in has an "all open projects" search and replace option. But mz-tools isn't free.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back