If IsNumeric(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = True Then
Call Method
End If
InitialRow = InitialRow + 1

Next
MsgBox ("The End")
End Sub

Hi All,

Above is the Code if the Column A has a Character go to Next line Works Perfect. BUT it Exits if the Column A is Empty too

But currently what I DONT WANT is not to skip if column A is EMPTY

so IF the Column A has Character ONLY go to next line BUT IF Column A has a Numeric or EMPTY read the line

Any help would be grateful

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
IsNumeric will return True on numbers and blanks. I'm guessing you want to 'Call Method' only on numbers and not blanks, so

Code:
If  IsNumeric(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) And Not  IsEmpty(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A"))  Then

Upvote 0
Thanks Sericom,

I tried but the condition does NOT satisfy to call the method so it run inside the For Loop and then its ends

I did some changes to ur code and tried below

If IsNumeric(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) And Not IsEmpty(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) Then

Below code I tried with different way

If IsNumeric(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = True And IsEmpty(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = false Then

Still I cant figure out. Even the code I tried Has to be ISNumeric AND IsEmpty didnt work either it Only reads 1 line and EXITS

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I would suggest showing us at least the entire loop and mention what happens in "Method".

Upvote 0
Public Sub pro()
Dim RowCounter As Long
InitialRow = 2
'Write a procedure that counts the number of rows...
FinalRow = BaseSheet.Cells(BaseSheet.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row 'This gives the number of data in the column "B"

For RowCounter = InitialRow To ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row ' The loop you wanted
With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1")
If Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = "" And _
Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "C")) = 0 Then Exit For
End With
If IsNumeric(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = True And IsEmpty(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = False Then
Call proNewMacro
End If
InitialRow = InitialRow + 1
Next
MsgBox ("The End")
End Sub

Upvote 0
...if the Column A has a Character go to Next line Works Perfect. BUT it Exits if the Column A is Empty too

But currently what I DONT WANT is not to skip if column A is EMPTY

so IF the Column A has Character ONLY go to next line BUT IF Column A has a Numeric or EMPTY read the line

Any help would be grateful

Thank you for posting the procedure. In reading your request, I am unclear as to what you are trying to do. In reading the code as posted, it seems a tad confusing to me leastwise. 'InitialRow' is not dim'med, but is set to 2 initially. Then InitialRow is used in the parameters for the loop, which granted, are only evaluated once, but changing InitialRow's value within the loop seems unusual. I do not see where you use InitialRow, why the 'InitialRow = InitialRow + 1' ?

Finally, what is FinalRow for?

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

I get it could be confusing because i have posted is a Sub method of a large Program.

What the program does is it reads row by row and put the data in to B2K screen.

What you mentioned above InitialRow is already dimmed Global - I needed to start the reading from row 2

Since i am not sure of the size of records everyday I took the Finalrow after Initialised to end the program.

So when reading Starts from row 2 it reads line by line (Works Perfect)

It even Skips to the next line if it come across a NON numeric (Works perfect)

So Empty is also not a Numeric ( because of that ) Loop exits. Hence program exits

So if the Column A has a Character(abcd...z) go to Next line (NON Numeric). if the Column A is Empty too ( Do not exit but read as usual) thats why code below does

If IsNumeric(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = True (is numeric Only call the sub method)

id IsEmpty(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("sheet1").Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = True (Mistaken false before call the sub method)

if above both conditions true go to inial row and +1 so start reading the next line

If Not Finalrow = true Exits

This what i want this method to do ( Like filter to main program) Just get only required rows

Hope that helps to understand its a bit complex I know

Upvote 0
Code:
Public Sub pro()
    Dim RowCounter As Long
    InitialRow = 2
    FinalRow = BaseSheet.Cells(BaseSheet.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row 'This gives the number of data in the column "B"
    For RowCounter = InitialRow To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        If Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = 0 And Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "C")) = 0 Then Exit For
        If IsNumeric(.Cells(RowCounter, "A")) Then
            Call proNewMacro
        End If
    Next
    End With
    MsgBox ("The End")
End Sub

This will go line by line and Call proNewMacro if Column A is numeric or empty (An empty cell is numeric). The program will exit if it finds a blank in column A AND column C.
Is this what you're after?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Sericom,

The For loop exits from first line and end the program because of below

If Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "A")) = 0 And Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "C")) = 0 Then Exit For

Because Column A is Empty it wont check

below condition

Its getting bit too complicated than I actually thought.

Good challenge if anyone want to give it a go :D

Upvote 0
What about this:

Code:
Public Sub pro()
    Dim RowCounter As Long
    InitialRow = 2
    For RowCounter = InitialRow To .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        If Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "A")) > 0 And Len(.Cells(RowCounter, "C")) > 0 Then
                Call proNewMacro
            End If
        End If
    Next RowCounter
    End With
    MsgBox "The End"
End Sub

Good challenge if anyone want to give it a go :D

We need clear advice as to what you want to do. You have posted a number of threads over the past couple of weeks asking the same thing but keep saying everyone's reply is not correct - including senior MVP members like GTO :confused:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back