Excel Macros Help to Show and Hide Select Worksheets

NeednHelp0

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I just started working on compiling all of the sub contractors and material vendors we have with pricing. What I would like to do is give each contractor their own work sheet page so I can keep up with pricing changes year to year. This will create a lot of worksheets in one work book. Would it be possible to have a main page with categories on it and when you click/select that category it will unhide the work sheets I have designated in that category? After which have a macro to hide all sheets again?

*I have not created the work book yet just trying to see if my idea is possible.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
You definitely can. You can use a command button, or double-click event, or some other method of triggering the macro, and it can hide or un-hide specific sheets you want (or all sheets, or one sheet, etc.)

Upvote 0
You definitely can. You can use a command button, or double-click event, or some other method of triggering the macro, and it can hide or un-hide specific sheets you want (or all sheets, or one sheet, etc.)
I am a rookie and just started trying to learn it. What would the formula be in order to make this work?

Upvote 0
It all depends on your requirements as to which sheets to hide. You could have a macro look at a cell containing a category, and hide sheets based on that, or a drop-down list, or ... there's many ways. A basic hide sheet macro could be as simple as the following:
VBA Code:
Public Sub hideSheets()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = False
Sheets("Sheet2").Visible = False
End Sub
To unhide them, change False to True

Upvote 0
It all depends on your requirements as to which sheets to hide. You could have a macro look at a cell containing a category, and hide sheets based on that, or a drop-down list, or ... there's many ways. A basic hide sheet macro could be as simple as the following:
VBA Code:
Public Sub hideSheets()
Sheets("Sheet1").Visible = False
Sheets("Sheet2").Visible = False
End Sub
To unhide them, change False to True
example:
I have multiple electrical contractors I have started naming each sheet by the company name
company1 company 2 company3

I also have multiple paint contractors
company4 company5 company6

How would I change the above formula to be initiated when a command button is pushed to show all the electrical contractors and hide the other sheets or vice versa?

Upvote 0
There are many ways to do it, but it depends on your workbooks/worksheets layout.

For example, determine what denotes each sheet as being an electrical vs. paint vs. plumbing contractor. Perhaps it's a cell that simply says "Plumbing" or "Electrical", like cell A1.

You could create a user form, or inputbox, that would appear when running a macro to allow you to select a category, then based on that selection it would hide any sheet that has the matching value in A1.

You could have a clean sheet and type Electrical in cell A1, then run the macro and have it hide all sheets identified as that category.

I rarely visit here, just felt like spending some time helping out, but I'm usually not in the business of building workbooks. The original link I provided shows you some of the basics of hiding and un-hiding worksheets. I suggest you start there and then expand upon it. If you run into specific issues, that's where this forum is quite helpful.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back