Excel Newbie, Setting up a Boxing Prediction League

LuisX

Hello all, I'm pretty new to excel and i'm trying to setup a Boxing Prediction league. I did this last year but I had to quit early because it took to much time and I had to put the points one by one since I don't know much. Here's the situation... I'm setting up a Boxing prediction league. The league consist on predicting the winner and outcome of a fight. It got almost 100 participants and I am trying to find a way to do the calculation more quickly last year I had to put the points 1 by 1 and it took me forever, Im looking for a way that with putting the fight outcome the table can put the points without me having to calculate each one. I do this league on facebook and they put their predictions on the comments sometimes it could 5 fights in a week. An example of how they put the predictions could be: Boxing A KO 6 or Boxing B UD and so on. Any help will be well received. Here is the points criteria:

Result (e.g Boxer A, Boxer B or Draw)
The Type of win
Points - When a match goes to the cards
Stoppage - When a match stops early (e.g. TKO, DQ etc)
Method of win
If Points
Unanimous Decision
Spilit Decision
MarjorityDecision
If by Stoppage then in which Round was it stopped.

Scoring
Points for picking a Result
Prediction Points
Correctly picking the winning boxer 10 pts multiplied by the odds (ex. favorite always is gonna be 10 x 1, and not favorite 10 x 2, 10 x 3, etc. this depends on the fighters and odds)
Correctly picking a draw depends the fight (minimun 20 pts)
Not picking the correct boxer (Boxer A wins and you have picked Boxer B or a Draw) -10 pts
Picking a Boxer but the result is a draw -10 pts
Not predicting a result but has predicted other matches this week I -10 pts

Picking the correct type of win - Only counts if you had the result correct
Prediction Points
If you correctly guessed a stoppage 3 extra pts
If you correctly guessed a points result 3 extra pts

In a match going to points - only counts if you had result and type correct
Prediction Points
Correctly guessing a Unanimous Decision 3 extra pts
Correctly guessing a Split Decision 3 extra pts
Correctly guessing a Majority Decision 3 extra pts

In a stoppage Result - only counts if you had result and type correct
Prediction Points
Correctly guessing the round (1-12) 5 extra pts

The only points that changes from fight to fight are the Draw and the odds of every fight everything else stays the same. Remember Im a newbie)

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I saw your post somewhere else and thought you're idea could give me something to do and keep my nerd brain happy :). I have a few questions about it.

Upvote 0
I saw your post somewhere else and thought you're idea could give me something to do and keep my nerd brain happy :). I have a few questions about it.

Go ahead you can ask anything. I'm Kinda new in these forums , Maybe if you want you can email me your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
LuisX, you said that you did this last year. Therefore you have some kind of a foundation/format around which you can build. At the moment I'm struggling to understand what that might be. Maybe the row of headers and an example of data for each week. What I'm really asking is, let us see the framework in which you are trying to work.

Upvote 0
LuisX, you said that you did this last year. Therefore you have some kind of a foundation/format around which you can build. At the moment I'm struggling to understand what that might be. Maybe the row of headers and an example of data for each week. What I'm really asking is, let us see the framework in which you are trying to work.

Mostly what I did was data entry. I just put the numbers. something like this:

PositionParticipantsNationalitySanta Cruz vs RuizWilder vs Stiverne Total
1Jonex KaztroPR1001816134
2Jaime SoberonMEX1001316129
3Isai GuzmanMEX1001316129
4Jose Peralta MEX1001316129
5Franco Ezequiel PerezARG1001316129
6Antonio OrtizPR1001316129
7Gallos Ivan PorrataPR1001810128
8Nicolas KovacicARG1001810128
9Richard PeñaVEN1001810128
10Luchy BlindageARG1001810128

<colgroup><col width="43" style="width:32pt"> <col width="247" style="width:185pt"> <col width="38" style="width:29pt" span="2"> <col width="40" style="width:30pt"> <col width="41" style="width:31pt"> <col width="67" style="width:50pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Ok, that's a start, but I still need more information about the inputs and why you have built this table in the way it is.

Upvote 0
Let's see. This is a table of the ten most successful tipsters/predictors. Each started out with 100 points. They have earned points for two contests and their points are added to (or subtracted from) their original 100. On Facebook what might a typical prediction be: Red Cnr TKO in Rnd4?

Looking at your opening post I see a complexity of conditions to be met so as to arrive at your points award.

The first thing it seems is that you need to build a table which describes the result of the specific encounter which you wish to address.
This is a start to what I envisage you could develop.
LuisX.jpg

This would then become a reference against which you would compare what your predictors may have chosen.
As I see it you need a Members' List against which you record their scores bout by bout.
To fill the table, of which the Members List would be part, would then require building an input form that uses the VLOOKUP function to record your awarded score there.

How might that input form look?
I'd place it on the same sheet as your "Outcome" so that later reference is easy.
That could vary. Essentially you would be placing appropriate content into the form that corresponds with the fields of the "Outcome". After that you need to apply your calculations.

Apologies, but you said that you were a "newbie" and I feel that much of what I have already said may have left you behind.
Some of your calculation data (points for different occasions) could be listed on the Input Form sheet.
That said, the next step that is required almost certainly will leave you behind.
You will need to write a macro, a program, which will transfer your awarded score to the right place in the separate sheet which holds your Members' List and attached table.
At the far right of that table you create a sum of the pluses and minuses that have been awarded.

To build your League table would require you copying the Predictor ID columns further to the right of the last column. Directly beside that list you would copy and paste as "VALUES" the contents of the sum column. From there you can do a Data Sort to get your top down hierarchy.

Complicated? I don't think that I can make this any easier. At least, unless there is someone else here with better insight, may I suggest that you find a compliant grandchild, or some neighbour's child who is conversant with the rudiments of Excel to get you started.

Once you have more solid thoughts please come back. That point just might be when you've built your "Outcome" table.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Thank you for your response. Base on that the following is what I have so far. I use vlookups to feed every "score" column.

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
ParticipantBoxer(A) always the favorite in odds (*1)
Boxer(B) variance odds
Draw (D)
ScoreType of Win
Score Cards (C) +3
KO (KO) +3
ScoreScore Cards
U (unanimous dec) +3
S (split decision) +3
M(majority decision) +3
ScoreTKO
What Round?
1-12 (+7)
ScoreTotal
JuanA=VLOOKUP($B$2:$B$7,$B$12:$C$14,2,FALSE)BC0AU00-10
JoseB30BC0BS0030
JacoboD-10000-10
JulianA-10AKO00A90-10
JesusB30BKO30B8740
JavierB30BC0BM0030

<tbody>
</tbody>

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
ResultWinner*ODDSType of WinScore CardsWhat Round
B,KO,8A-10AC0AU0A10
B30AKO0AS0A20
D-10BC0AM0A30
BKO0BU0A40
ODDS00BS0A50
A*1BM0A60
B*300A70
A80
A90
A100
A110
A120
B10
B20
B30
B40
B50
B60
B70
B87
B90
B100
B110
B120

<tbody>
</tbody>

All these feed the following spread sheet that is the final one:

PositionParticipantsNationalityBoxer A vs. Boxer BTotal
JulianPR-10-10
JavierPR3030
JuanPR-10-10
JesusPR4040
JosePR3030
JacoboPR-10-10

<tbody>
</tbody>

So, my question is:How can't I make this spread sheet to sort by itself by total every time that I enter final numbers to each fight? Do you think that there is a simpler way to make the spread sheet?

Best Regards,

Luis X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgeeaudrey

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back