Excel NOOB - Auto Populating Cells Across Worksheets

Rigwald

Hello!

I am a teacher who uses Moodle (an online LMS - Learning Management System). I have two Excel files that use macros to make Moodle XML files for importing questions into Moodle. I combined the two files into one, with various worksheets for either Short Answer creation, Multiple Choice creation, Glossary Entry creation, etc.... Here's my dilemma:

In an attempt to cut down on the number of repetitive steps, I'd like to link columns on two sheets to self populate when text is entered in columns on a third sheet. Since the columns are different between sheets, I found a how-to online that showed a simple way to do it (using arrays: ='WORKSHEETNAME'!RANGE:RANGE then control+_shift+enter). While that worked, the issue I have is that the number of questions varies from time to time, so setting a range, where the empty cells populate as "0" on the linked worksheets, doesn't work. Those populated "0" get exported as actual questions and glossary entries. Is there a way that blank cells don't populate with "0" on the other sheets?

Here's a link to the file I'm working with.

On a second note. Is there a way to automatically remove spaces from within an entry. For example, if an item says "Communist State" is there a way to remove the space to make "CommunistState"?

Thanks in advance. I though I had it licked with the array stuff, but it just made a new issue.

Here's the process we go through, in case it will help you understand why we are trying to remove the repetitive copying:

Workflow 1:

We enter question and answers in the Short Answer worksheet and export those questions as an Moodle XML file to be imported into Moodle. We then copy the columns from the Short Answer worksheet to the Glossary Maker sheetto export as a Moodle XML file, which we then import into Moodle. We then copy the columns again to the Crossword worksheet, remove all the spaces, then save that sheet as a CSV, which can be imported into our crossword making program.

Workflow 2:

We make a crossword with the questions and answers. That exports as a CSV file. We then copy the columns to the above xlsx file (in the Crossword sheet). We then have to copy the columns to the Glossary maker to export an Moodle XML file to import into Moodle. We then have to copy the columns to the Short Answer maker and export those in Moodle XML format to import into Moodle.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back