Excel query based on cell value

Hanz77

Board Regular
I’ve seen this question asked several time, but I have yet to find a solution that fits my needs.

I have an Access database containing several tables with over 300,000 rows each. This database is nothing more than a place to store raw data. Within Excel I have gone through the process of importing external data using the following SQL.

SELECT tbl_RawData.AcctNumber, tbl_RawData.[Phone Number], tbl_RawData.[Customer Number], tbl_RawData.Address, tbl_RawData.City, tbl_RawData.State, tbl_RawData.[Zip Code], FROM tbl_RawData WHERE (((tbl_RawData.AcctNumber)="123456"));

As written, this code pulls all data with an account number of 123456 into Sheet2. If I want to change the account number, I have to manually edit the query and then refresh the data. The manual process works, but there has to be a better way of doing this. Ideally, I would like to have the ability to update the account number in cell B2 within Sheet1 so that the data in Sheet2 is automatically updated. The automatic update should be easy enough with an event procedure and I should be able to figure that out. Any suggestions on how to get the SQL to reference cell B2 that is located in Sheet1?

For what it is worth I have tried to replace my WHERE statement with WHERE (((tbl_RawData.AcctNumber)=" & Range("B2").Value & "). This did not work, hence the reason for my post.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi.

Parameterised query tables do exactly what you want without the need for code.

This example might help http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/ExternalData6.htm#Parameters

Or google for other examples of parameterised Excel query tables.

Maybe a simple way to set this up when you already have a query is to go from the worksheet containing the query into the VBE (Visual Basic Editor) ALT-F11 and CTRL-G to the immediate window. If you type in the following it will return the SQL you have (pre Excel 2007, I don't use Excel 2007)
Code:
? activesheet.querytables(1).sql
If that is OK you can edit this and assign it back as the sql property is read/write.

Or alternatively use, untested
Code:
activesheet.querytables(1).sql=replace$(activesheet.querytables(1).sql,"123456","?")

HTH, Fazza

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back