Excel user form - general questions

SueBK

Board Regular
I've been handed an Excel spreadsheet with almost 80 unique fields, which filter out into nine separate tabs - with different sets of columns and filtered data. I'm comfortable creating code to filter out the various reports from a central spreadsheet with all the data.
Now I've been asked to create a user-entry system for this thing. (A huge percent of the fields are dates, so I think they should be running it through project management software; but that's not my call.)
I've done a fair bit of programming in MSAccess, where user forms are easy and straight forward to link to tables and queries. But I've never created user forms in Excel. I have found a great tutorial on how to program a form for new data entry (Pro tip: Add a UserForm to aid data entry in Excel - TechRepublic), but I still have a number of questions.At this point I'm just looking for a "Yes, possible", "No, dreaming" type response. I'm guessing it's going to take me a while to get around to the specific issues!
1. Can I create a user form that allows for both new record entry and editing of existing records? I tried the auto option provided by Excel, but obviously my 80 fields is too many.
2. Can I 'lock' the spreadsheet so users cannot directly modify it (i.e. they have to use the form)?
3. Given that there's 80 fields, can I create a tabbed user form, with different data sets on different tabs? e.g. all construction related data on one tab, all general project overview on another, etc.
4. The tutorial I found shows how to set up the options for a combo-box in the code behind the box. In Access, this would be kept in a table so it can be easily updated. Is it possible to keep combo box options in a range on a hidden sheet (or similar)?
5. Can I set "invalid data" type warnings on various boxes that refuse to allow a user to enter incorrect data? For example, if a user enters a completion data after today.
6. Can I set up a field that is a concatenation of various combo and text boxes? I have a field that is "Part A-#-Part B". Part A and Part B are both very small lists of options (1/2 dozen options), the number may or may not be required. Part A and Part B are both required as separate fields, so ideally, I'd like the information to only be entered once.
7. For any combo box, can I set it up so the user can (preferably with a warning) add their own text rather than choose an option.
8. Can I set a no-duplicates field? i.e. if a user tries to create a new record but certain data matches existing records it returns an error message
I think that's it for the moment.
Like I said, I don't need code or great details at the moment, just a general 'yes', 'no', 'easy', 'hard' sort of response to each question would be great. I know how to do all of these through Access, but the format of the data is not up to me. They are in the process of migrating data and apparently have real database boffins working on a long-term solution; so this is a stop gap measure for a couple of months (I'm guessing).

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Yes to all with a few notes...

2. Can I 'lock' the spreadsheet so users cannot directly modify it (i.e. they have to use the form)?
Yes, or better yet hide the sheets unless there's a reason the users need to view them.

3. Given that there's 80 fields, can I create a tabbed user form, with different data sets on different tabs? e.g. all construction related data on one tab, all general project overview on another, etc.
MultiPage or TabStrip controls can help with that.

5. Can I set "invalid data" type warnings on various boxes that refuse to allow a user to enter incorrect data? For example, if a user enters a completion data after today.
Yes. Textboxes don't have built-in data validation functionality, but you can find many examples of how to validate using VBA code.

8. Can I set a no-duplicates field? i.e. if a user tries to create a new record but certain data matches existing records it returns an error message
You could use data validation code similar to that used to check for incorrect data. This would be more complex if you are trying to prevent duplicates for combinations of multiple fields or needing to use "fuzzy matching".

Upvote 0
6. Can I set up a field that is a concatenation of various combo and text boxes? I have a field that is "Part A-#-Part B". Part A and Part B are both very small lists of options (1/2 dozen options), the number may or may not be required. Part A and Part B are both required as separate fields, so ideally, I'd like the information to only be entered once.

You could set a ComboBox right next to a TextBox right next to another ComboBox so the user could choose PartA and PartB from lists and enter the number if needed. I'd recommend setting the ComboBox to have .ShowDropButtonWhen = fmShowDropButtonWhenFocus to keep it easier to see.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back