Excel VBA Based on filter value, only show columns ...

Excelquestion35

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Currently I am looking for a clever way to hide columns based on a value in column E from the below example. I have already looked for some ideas but can't find the exact one I am looking for.
As you can see, the following sheet contains a lot of columns, the user is overloaded with data.
The below sheets shows all current possible activities for all departments combined. Thus, not all these activities belong to one department alone.

As soon as I filter on the value S2F from the department column (E), I would like to only show a subset of the columns. (e.g. AA:AH, AR:AS & AX combined)

Is there a convenient way to do this?

Also, since this is a competence and cross training matrix, would it be possible to do the same but then taking into account that some extra columns have to be visible as as soon as someone is scheduled to learn something that is outside of the scope of activities for e.g. F2S?

1671533059788.png

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
The problem is that there isn't a worksheet event which is fired when you change an autofilter. However, there is a workaround using the Worksheet_Calculate event and a formula whose result is based on cells in the data range.

In this example, cell A1 contains a formula which sums numeric values in column A of the data range.
Example.xlsm
A
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1A1=SUM(A11:A36)

Put this code in the code module of the Data sheet:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    Hide_Department_Columns Me
End Sub

Public Sub Hide_Department_Columns(dataSheet As Worksheet)

Dim Department As String

With dataSheet

If .AutoFilterMode Then

Department = .AutoFilter.Range.Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)(1, 5).Value  '5 is column E

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Select Case Department

Case "D2S"
                    .Columns("A:Z").Hidden = False  'unhide all columns
                    .Range("J:L,O:P,S:S").EntireColumn.Hidden = True

Case "S2F"
                    .Columns("A:Z").Hidden = False
                    .Range("M:P,S:S,V:W").EntireColumn.Hidden = True

Case Else

End Select

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End If

End With

End Sub
Change the columns to hide and add more Case statements to the Select Case Department statement, as needed.

Upvote 0
Hi John,

Thank you for your thorough explanation and provided code. Unfortunately, it is not working yet. I have tried adjusting the following cells without success:

VBA Code:
Department = .AutoFilter.Range.Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)(10, 5).Value  '5 is column E

and

Department = .AutoFilter.Range.Offset(10, 5).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)(10, 5).Value  '5 is column E

I have also added the sum formula to cell A1 that is counting the sum from A11 onwards.

Is there anything I did wrong?

Upvote 0
First, is the Worksheet_Calculate event being fired? To find out, change it to:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    MsgBox "Worksheet_Calculate"
    Hide_Department_Columns Me
End Sub
And you should see the message displayed every time the Worksheet_Calculate event occurs.

I used the =SUM(A11:A36) formula for my convenience, with A11:Z36 containing my test data. From your image, I counted row 11 as the first data row, below the column headings. I see your column A probably doesn't contain numeric values, so you should try a different formula in A1 (or any spare cell outside your data range) , for example =SUBTOTAL(3,E11:E36) counts the number of visible rows.

The original line:
VBA Code:
            Department = .AutoFilter.Range.Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)(1, 5).Value  '5 is column E
should be correct. It should read the first visible cell in column E in the autofiltered rows, which is the Department name you are autofiltering on.

Upvote 0
Thank you, it seems to work now!

Is there by any chance also a way to unhide the columns or reset them in someway when filtering again? For instance, when I first select department D2S it does the selection, but immediately filtering on another department reduces the visible columns to not the actual selection as provided in the code. (Example below)

I have a general unhide columns button in the sheet which does the trick but I was wondering whether it was possible to insert a step where all columns are unfiltered as soon as we change the tickbox.

1672903290277.png

Here I first filtered on department F2S which showed the correct columns, but the wrong selection remains as soon as I untick F2S and select EHV1.

Upvote 0
Here I first filtered on department F2S which showed the correct columns, but the wrong selection remains as soon as I untick F2S and select EHV1.
Have you added a Case "EHV1" statement to hide the specific columns for EHV1?

Something like this modified routine, which also first unhides all columns A:Z and then hides the specific columns for each Department.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Hide_Department_Columns(ws As Worksheet)

Dim Department As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

With ws

'Unhide all columns

If .AutoFilterMode Then

'Hide specific columns depending on filtered Department

Select Case Department
                Case "D2S"
                    .Range("J:L,O:P,S:S").EntireColumn.Hidden = True
                Case "S2F"
                    .Range("M:P,S:S,V:W").EntireColumn.Hidden = True
                Case "F2S"
                    .Range("K:P,R:S,X:Z").EntireColumn.Hidden = True
                Case "EHV1"
                    .Range("J:K,M:M,T:V,Y:Y").EntireColumn.Hidden = True
                Case Else
                    MsgBox "Not written code to hide columns for Department '" & Department & "'"
            End Select

End If

End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back