Excel VBA - Vlookup w/Named Range

spydey

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I am trying to write some code so that a vlookup is automatically performed when a change is made to any cell in column A of a specific worksheet.

Also, if the vlookup returns N/A, I want to leave the output blank, instead of N/A populating.

2 Worksheets, same Workbook:

Population
&
Completed

When a number is entered into a cell in column A in the worksheet Population, I need a vlookup performed. It is to look at the numeric value in that cell in column A worksheet Population, find that value in column A worksheet Completed, gather the data from column 3 worksheet Completed, and input it back into column 7 worksheet Population.

If I was writing the formula in-cell in worksheet Population, it would be like this (as an example):

=VLOOKUP($A3,Completed.Range_Completed,3,0)

However, I don't want to have formulas in the cells. I would like to have it done behind the scenes via VBA. Still learning so I am glad I have a resource to learn from. ;)

This is the code I have so far:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
If Intersect(Target, Range("ColumnA.Population")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub    Dim rng2 As Range
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    For Each rng2 In Target
        If Len(rng2.Value) = 0 Then
           rng2.Offset(0, 7).ClearContents
        ElseIf IsNumeric(rng2.Value) = True Then
           rng2.Offset(0, 7) = Application.WorksheetFunction.If(IsNA(VLookup(rng2.Offset(0, 0), Range("Completed.Range_Completed"), 3, False)), "", VLookup(rng2.Offset(0, 0), Range("Completed.Range_Completed"), 3, False))
        End If
    Next rng2
    Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

I have assigned a few named ranges so that it is (hopefully) easier to write this and have it work.

The named ranges are as follows:

"ColumnA.Population" refers to ColumnA of the Population worksheet.
"Completed.Range_Completed " refers to Completed!$A:$G

Please note that all my named ranges are dynamic. They only extend down as far as there is data in column a of the corresponding worksheet. (hopefully that makes sense)

Here is how I am making my ranges dynamic:

Completed.Range_Completed --> =Completed!$A$2:INDEX(Completed!$A:$G,COUNTA(Completed!$A:$A))
ColumnA.Population --> =Population!$A$2:INDEX(Population!$A:$A,COUNTA(Population!$A:$A))

So I have tried the above code, and I seem to be missing something.

Any pointers, thoughts, ideas, etc?

Also, I think that my dynamic Completed.Range_Completed might not be set up correctly. Does it look right?

Thank you everyone!!

-Spydey

Hey thanks JoeMo!

Yeah, I noticed that my code had errors, but it was more of the idea I was trying to get out there. I have tried a few different iterations of the code and none seem to work the way I am hoping.

I tried yours, as posted above, and it pulls over the date, but not the vlookup value.

Atleast I am not getting a debug error 1004 anymore, thanks to the error handling.

If only I could get the vlookup to work correctly.

Maybe there is a better way to get the same result as a vlookup but without actually using a vlookup? Maybe something similar to Index(Match. Granted, vlookup and Index(Match are Worksheet functions. Perhaps I need to implement non-worksheet functions to achieve the same thing natively. I am just unsure on how to go about doing that.

I am going to keep researching and playing around. If you have any further ideas or input, please let me know.

Also, if anyone else has anything, I am all ears!

-Spydey

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBFrieds

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back