Excel vlookup formula references another workbook and the result won't show

dekkerge

[FONT=&quot]I have a long list of formulas which use a vlookup to other workbooks. I wanted to change the date in the name of the workbook being refereced in the formulas so I tried that by the find and replace function but when I do that, an "Update Vales" window pops up and when I close that window, only one of the formulas replaces the value. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I got around this by changing the "=" to "#" then replacing the date and changing the "#" back to "=" but now the formula shows in the cell and not the result. I can click into an individual cell and then press enter and get the "Update Values" window to pop up, close it, and get the result to show, but I have thousands of the formula and it is not efficient or fun to go through each cell individually and do that. is there an easier way to do this?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ex: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]=IFNA(VLOOKUP($C21,'S:\FINSC\[Report 2018 Roll 1.xlsx]By Department'!$J$5:$M$26,2,FALSE),0)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is the current formula and I would like to change the "2018" to "2019"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The new workbooks do not exist yet but I want to set up the file so that as soon as I create the new workbooks each week, they will pull into this file. I was able to do this for the last few months of 2018 but that was a much smaller amount of cells. I can't seem to do get them to change to the result quickly now. Are there any suggestions for this?[/FONT]

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
You can try this.

1 Open the file with your vlookups in and save as and create the file for 2019. keep it open while you do the next bit.
2 Now open the file(s) which the vlookup references and save as each file for 2019. It doesn't mattere its got 2018 data in.
3 The file in 1 above will change the formulas automaticaly

When you've finished close the workbooks and now prepare the files in 2 above for 2019.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Option 2 is create your refernce workbooks for 2019 Go into your summary workbook and do File> edit links and change the data source(s)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back