External Data connection in Pivot turns one column of numbers into text but not others ?

jodijan

I have a pivot which uses another external spreadsheet , connected via "use an external data source"

The data source has two columns , one for "Actual Spend" , one for "Budgeted Spend" . Both columns in the source file are formatted as Currency format and display as currency with no problems.

In the pivot table , again both Value fields are set to be currency but here's the problem !...

The "Actual Spend" values display as currency values correctly in the Pivot table but the "Budgeted Spend " values , when refreshed turn to zero . When I drill down on a "Budgeted Spend" value I can see the Currency format has been changed to a text format and therefore does not show on the Pivot table , however...

If I open the External data source spreadsheet independently alongside the pivot spreadsheet and refresh the pivot , the values turn back to currency format in the pivot ! . But if I then close the external data source spreadsheet and refresh the pivot data they "zero" again being reformatted to text.

I have tried creating different versions of the pivot SS but the problem reoccurs . It also makes no difference if the "save source data with file" is checked or unchecked in pivot table options .

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

John

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back