External data in mouseover tooltips

Fishboy

Hi all,

I have been asked to help with a fairly strange request which to be honest I am not sure I am going to be able to help with. Basically we are building a spreadsheet that tracks the purchase and sale of various items from the online game World of Warcraft.

The longstanding online community for the game have a website database of all the items that are available in-game and these can be linked to on other websites if you include the following script in the HEAD section of the page's HTML:

< script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.wowhead.com/widgets/power.js"></ script>< script>var wowhead_tooltips = { "colorlinks": true, "iconizelinks": true, "renamelinks": true }</ script>

With this in place any item linked on the page will display an official mouseover tooltip based on the item URL.

Is it possible for Excel 2010 to do something similar? Is it able to read and interpret the above script to translate item URLs into mouseover tooltips? What we are hoping to achieve is that our spreadsheet will contain a list of various Warcraft items which, when mouseovered displays the official item tooltip from the WoWhead website.

I suspect that we will not be able to get it to do this, but for anyone willing to try and help, you can have a look at a guide to using the WoWhead script here, although this is obviously tailored for websites rather than spreadsheets.

I'm hoping that the collective minds here on Mr Excel may be able to suggest a way of acheiving this, but I am also well aware that this may well be asking more of Excel than it is designed for.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePlop

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back