Extract Rows with "X" in column A (Index Match solution?)

lawi227

Board Regular
I have a set of data (A1:H658). In column A, I want to put an "X" next to any rows that I want to pull over.

My traditional way of doing this is to do an IF statement that says IF(A1="X",B1,""). But this returns a lot of blanks. For example, if I have ~500 rows of data, and I put an "X" next to 200 rows, then I have 300 rows of blank data. I would traditionally highlight this list, and filter out the blanks.

There has to be a better way of only returning rows of data (from column B to H) to another worksheet, if there is an X in column A.

Here are my headers and columns:
ABCDEFGH
Include in Assessment?Ref #SC, OF, or SCOFExcellence CategoryFunctionSub-FunctionProcessDescription
X1SCPeoplePurchaseBuyerHRBLAH BLAH BLAH

<tbody>
</tbody>

Does that make sense?

Thanks so much! I will forever being using this formulas, as I do a lot of this! Thanks!

Sorry.. but I caught an error on my behalf. It has to do with the formatting of my table I believe. One last quick help hopefully..

In column H1:K1, I have a merged cell with a title in it. Below that merged cell are 4 questions (one question in H1, one question in I1, J1, and K1). Starting in row 3, I put an "X" below each question that is correct.

The formula I was using does not always pull over the correct "X". I cannot identify a pattern.

It also appears that Columns W:AD (which do not have a merged title in row 1), also do not return the correct "X". This section of my table also has questions and I input an "X" if they apply.

All the other columns appear to be working but it's only where there is a merged cell and information in row 1, does the formula not work.

Is there perhaps a better formula to use for those cells? Note: these cells have blanks and thats why I was asking about removing the blanks so they don't show as "0".

Thanks once again.

Happy to help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Merged cells lead to problems when using formulas. I tend to use Format Cells > Alignment > Horizontal: Center Across Selection instead.

That being said, it seems that your layout is different from what you explained originally. Up to this point, the formula was only looking for an "X" in one column. Is this no longer the case?

I think that it will be best if you can create a small sample of your data along with the expected results of the formula.

Upvote 0
Now I am searching one column (AG) for one value, and returning all the data. Basically it is a dynamic filter (i.e., If I want to see all the data in one tab where Column AG has a "Engr". I want to be able to drag that formula that you created above from column A all the way across to column AH.

Here is a sample set of data (I labeled the column letters, and denoted where cell A1 is):

COLUMN ACOLUMN BColumn CDEFGH/I/J/KL/M/NO/PQRSTUVWXYZAAABACADAEAFAGAH
A1ComplianceResourcesAwareness
Focus #ElementFocusAssessment Plan/CriteriaSummary Execution FindingsExecution Findings?Q1Q2Q3Q4Q5Q6Q7Q8Q9Summary Spirit/Intent Findings Spirit/Intent Findings?Summary Design FindingsDesign Findings?Q1Q2Q3Q4Q5Q6Q7Q8Gap(s)Team Place
15FundamentalsLeadership Observation: text1 x None0None0 sample textOUname 1
22FundamentalsPreservationInterview: text 1 X None0None0 sample textEngrname 2

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="7"><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col span="2"><col span="2"><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

In this simplistic view (with sample, dummy data and text), I would want on a separate worksheet to return all rows that has "ENGR" in column AG. In this example, that would only return row 4. I want it to by dynamic so there are no gaps, and so "0" show up as blanks (as you can see there are a lot of blanks). I thought I could leverage the formula you created and just change the data that I am indexing, but that didn't work for the columns with (Q1, Q2, etc.).

PS.. How did you get to copy and paste your worksheet in post #2 so neatly?

Merged cells lead to problems when using formulas. I tend to use Format Cells > Alignment > Horizontal: Center Across Selection instead.

That being said, it seems that your layout is different from what you explained originally. Up to this point, the formula was only looking for an "X" in one column. Is this no longer the case?

I think that it will be best if you can create a small sample of your data along with the expected results of the formula.

Upvote 0
Based off of your sample in post #13, this should do the trick. The formula is to be entered in A3 of the separate worksheet then dragged to AH3 and down as far as needed.

=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(Sheet1!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW(Sheet1!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))=0,"",INDEX(Sheet1!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW(Sheet1!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))),"") Ctrl Shift Enter

PS.. How did you get to copy and paste your worksheet in post #2 so neatly?

I use the MrExcel HTML Maker
See here: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I replaced 'Sheet 1!' with 'Roll-up'! (because that is the worksheet that contains the data I'm trying to pull and it didn't pull anything after I hit Ctrl Shift Enter.

Here is the formula:
=IFERROR(IF(INDEX('Roll-up'!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF('Roll-up'!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))=0,"",INDEX('Roll-up'!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF('Roll-up'!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))),"")

Any thoughts? Did I not link the right ranges to the right worksheet?

EDIT: I see the range needs to be adjusted to capture all the data through row 80.

Based off of your sample in post #13, this should do the trick. The formula is to be entered in A3 of the separate worksheet then dragged to AH3 and down as far as needed.

=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(Sheet1!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW(Sheet1!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))=0,"",INDEX(Sheet1!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF(Sheet1!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW(Sheet1!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))),"") Ctrl Shift Enter

I use the MrExcel HTML Maker
See here: https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I replaced 'Sheet 1!' with 'Roll-up'! (because that is the worksheet that contains the data I'm trying to pull and it didn't pull anything after I hit Ctrl Shift Enter.

Here is the formula:
=IFERROR(IF(INDEX('Roll-up'!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF('Roll-up'!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))=0,"",INDEX('Roll-up'!A$3:A$4,SMALL(IF('Roll-up'!$AG$3:$AG$4="Engr",ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3:$A$4)-(ROW('Roll-up'!$A$3)-1)),ROWS($A$1:$A1)))),"")

Any thoughts? Did I not link the right ranges to the right worksheet?

I based that formula off of the example that you posted in post #13. Is that the data that you tested the formula on? You would want to test the formula given on the sample that you gave me and get that working before moving onto your main sheet.

When you are ready to use the formula on your main sheet, you would have to adjust the ranges to fit your data (i.e. change the 4's to the last row of your data).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mabbas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back