Extracting text from a cell

Partsguy100

I have a long description in my item master and want to extract the first string after the number 205 in the description. I understand the logic by following other examples but can't get it to work.

Here is the long description that is essentially a big text box. I formatted the text to at least have the numbers on the left side, but even that is hit and miss as the wrap text formatting must be selected.

000 1113567 EA N
060 WASHER PLAIN 33/64 IN ID X 15/16 IN OD X 1/16 IN THK
205 6101229 GM DIESEL

I would like to extract the number 6101229

BONUS: how can I format the cell the wrap around the numbers?

Please help!!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Is the number you want to find always a 7-digit number? If so...

=MID(A1,FIND(CHAR(10)&"205 ",A1)+5,7)

I don't understand your BONUS question. Are you saying the text you posted is not your actual text?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With PowerQuery and your example you can try:
Code:
[SIZE=1]
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Inserted Text Between Delimiters" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Text Between Delimiters", each Text.BetweenDelimiters([Column1], "205 ", " "), type text)
in
    #"Inserted Text Between Delimiters"[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the number you want to find always a 7-digit number? If so...

=MID(A1,FIND(CHAR(10)&"205 ",A1)+5,7)

I don't understand your BONUS question. Are you saying the text you posted is not your actual text?

Thanks Rick,
Our item master is just a huge text box with no formatting consistency. The vendor part numbers are always assigned to 'row 205' and vary in length. I would like to have the formula grab the next string of characters until it hits a blank space, and return the info between the end of 205 and the next blank space.

ie.
205 123454-3434-1212

Upvote 0
Try this:

=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(A1,1,FIND("205 ",A1)+3,"")," ",REPT(" ",200)),200))

Upvote 0
Try this:

=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(A1,1,FIND("205 ",A1)+3,"")," ",REPT(" ",200)),200))

The formula didn't return anything so I played around with it:
=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(E160,1,FIND("205",E160)+3,""),"",REPT(" ",200)),200))

but this returned
6101229 GM DIESEL

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thanks Rick,
Our item master is just a huge text box with no formatting consistency.
We cannot look for 205 directly (like the formula you are examining does now) to find the value you want because that number could appear within the other numbers appearing before the 205 you want. Is the character in front of the 205 always Line Feed like you showed in your original posting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We cannot look for 205 directly (like the formula you are examining does now) to find the value you want because that number could appear within the other numbers appearing before the 205 you want. Is the character in front of the 205 always Line Feed like you showed in your original posting?

Here is what our long description looks like. There is probably a carriage return at the end of each line but you can see the 000 line is not formatted the same as the other lines. I would just like to return the first string after the 205 number.

000 4425897 EA N
060 TRANSFORMER T4 REP
205 6965020 GM DIESEL
350 END USE F59 PH LOCO HEP ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT
351 SET-UP DATE 14/03/91

Upvote 0
Give this formula a try...

=MID(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(CHAR(10)&"205 ",A1)+5)),FIND(CHAR(10)&"205 ",A1)+5,99)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back