Faster way to loop

BRB1983

Board Regular
I would like to know if there is a faster way for a loop to run. Here is what i have now and it is slow.
Code:
  Dim rng As Range    Dim lColorCounter As Long
    Dim rngCell As Range
    Set rng = Sheets("MASTER LINE LIST").Range("C2:Z2000")
    lColorCounter = 0
        For Each rngCell In rng
        'Checking BLUE color
            If Cells(rngCell.Row, rngCell.Column).DisplayFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(0, 176, 240) Then
                lColorCounter = lColorCounter + 1
            End If
        Next
    Sheets("Status").Range("C5") = lColorCounter
    lColorCounter = 0
        For Each rngCell In rng
        'Checking Yellor color
            If Cells(rngCell.Row, rngCell.Column).DisplayFormat.Interior.Color = RGB(255, 255, 0) Then
                lColorCounter = lColorCounter + 1
            End If
        Next
    Sheets("Status").Range("B5") = lColorCounter

If supported by your Excel version, instead of looping, have a look at using autofilter by color & then count the visible cells.
That is one of the options I had in mind but there are 24 columns & 2 colours. My testing is that if the colours can be in any of those 24 columns then such a method is considerably slower than that suggested in post 4. Never-the-less that is partly why I asked especially Q3 in post 7. :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
24 columns! I hadn't read the question carefully enough to see that, Peter.
Sounds like a helper column or two could really make it much more efficient.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a helper column or two could really make it much more efficient.
Possibly, but the question is about speed & I'm not sure that will be faster either. In any case, I'm only pursuing it out of interest as the existing suggestions only take a fraction of a second so any improvement will be non-consequential unless the process is to be repeated a large number of times. :cool:

Upvote 0
I was thinking faster in having the helper columns doing the work. Populated directly with a count. A SUM formula at the bottom of the helper column and all that the code - if needed at all - would need to to would be to read the single .value2 from a cell or defined name. Barely take an instant?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes, both blue and yellow can occur in any of the cells in the 24 columns. Not all Cells in Range C2:Z**** are used. if we could use "UsedRange" that would work as well i think.
yes, rows and columns will have both colors but eventually all yellow.
colors are there by conditional formatting, using match-format Fill (=MATCH(C2,Final!$A$1:$A$6000,0)).
Only about 4500 cells will eventually contain color.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, about how long does it take for whatever macro you are using now to complete. Is it minutes or seconds...

Upvote 0
Do you have a lot of other stuff going on with that machine. I only ask because on my stand alone computer, my test data which uses the range C2:Z10000, the code executes in less than ½ second.

Upvote 0
no i don't. my work partner and i are the only one using this and his unit takes about the same time. his unit is approximately. 4 months old.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back